Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error Message

• Please log in to reply

ann051

ann051

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I am a novice at this. Thankfully I found this forum. I'm using my friends computer to figure out what has happend. I cannot boot up or anything without this frustrating box showing up. Does anyone know how to fix this without being too technical. I can follow instruction, but it has to be detailed. Thanks for ANYONE'S help!

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Quoted from Microsoft article 324762. Please look at the Note at the bottom.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, use the Windows XP Recovery Console to replace the Msvcrt.dll file with the original version. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM into the computer's CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer from the CD-ROM.

NOTE: Some computers may require that you modify the basic input/output system (BIOS) settings before you can start the computer from a CD-ROM. For information about how to modify BIOS, see your computer documentation.
2. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. Press the number key that corresponds to the installation that you want to repair, and then press ENTER.
4. Type the Administrator password, and then press ENTER.
5. With the Windows XP CD-ROM still in the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command: • cd system32
• ren msvcrt.dll msvcrt.old
• CD-ROM_or_DVD-ROM_Drive_Letter:
• cd \i386
• expand msvcrt.dl_ BootDriveLetter:\windows\system32
• exit
NOTE: BootDriveLetter refers to the drive letter of the boot drive. In other words, it refers to the drive where the Windows folder is located, which is probably drive C. CD-ROM_or_DVD-ROM_Drive_Letter refers to the drive letter of the CD-ROM or the drive letter of the DVD-ROM drive. The CD-ROM drive or the DVD-ROM drive are frequently located in drive D.