Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

get my name right !

• Please log in to reply

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
I m just curious does it make you angry when someone calls you or refers to you by the wrong name ?

I m not talking about a one time thing I know it happens once in a while but I just received an e-mail and for the 3rd time I was called Dan not Don

I just checked my keyboard and the a is on the otherside of the keyboard from o

This has to be up there in the top 5 of my pet peeves, I have been doing business with this firm for better then 2 months now and I have others associated with this project that have said they call me Dan.

I m thinking if your not even paying attention to the fact that you can't get my name right chances are your not really paying attention to what I m paying you for :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
jeeze fred......calm down! :whistling:

i don't have that problem often with my first name...though sometimes when i've had just phone contact with someone they think my name is "dane"...but that's an easy mistake on the phone

i have the most problems with my last name....being french most people (in tennessee especially) screw it up horribly...it's pronounced "seh-net" ...but i get see-net or stinett (which is actually a common tenn name) seh-nettie or seh-net-ay and all kinds of junk....if you don't know how to pronounce it...just ask

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Someone just called me by my daughter's name, which is pretty cool, since she is 13, has long blonde hair and is much thinner than I am and does not have wrinkles.

I think they may not know your name. Is it strictly email correspondence or phone? Can you just kindly correct them or if it's email, maybe make your signature a little larger and in bold-face. The guy may not know how to read.

When anyone asks my husband's name, he just tells them he answers to "dummy." Maybe that would work. I love's ya DON! :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

When anyone asks my husband's name, he just tells them he answers to "dummy." Maybe that would work.

i usually go with "you can call me anything you want...as long as it's not 'late for supper'"

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

I think they may not know your name. Is it strictly email correspondence or phone? Can you just kindly correct them or if it's email, maybe make your signature a little larger and in bold-face. The guy may not know how to read.

They know it and yes when I replied to the e-mail and made the font for my name 89 and red shortly after I hit send I got an apology :whistling:

seh-net" did not know that was French I know a seh-net" and we call him papa gino :blink:

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Try having a name like sari. They get it right in email, but never on the phone or in person.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
I get Kay all the time. Come to think of it, though, that may just be Rocky and CCMike's typo's. :whistling:

The only thing that bothers me about my name is when people assume that my name is really Katherine or Kathleen or something. If you don't know... don't ASSume it. Ask first. Don't just start calling me one of those, or Katrina or something. The legal name is Kathie. kthx

huh monkey. And all this time, I wanted to pronounce the last name seen-it :blink:

JayBern

JayBern

• PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
Poor dan77. ... I mean don77. :)

Well my forum name here is basically my name and so far no one called me wrongly or have a typo-intentionally made. Lol. On other occasions when it was like 3 years back, I had a gaming nickname called bboydunk. People just love to change it and call me bboydrunk. Haha.

huh monkey. And all this time, I wanted to pronounce the last name seen-it :help:

You mean pronouncing "dsenette"? I rather choose to irritatingly pronounce it as "deh-seh-net". :blink: Every time I read any of dsenette's posts I'll just stop for a split second to make that pronunciation in my head. :whistling:

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
actually, I was pronouncing it correctly. I posted what I did to be a smarty pants to the Monkey :whistling:

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Before my username change, I had quite a few typo's that rather bugged me - I think I'm in the same boat as you, Don! My former username was "ruthandtroy", being a combination of Ruth (my wife's name) and Troy (my name). I would get people replying in threads "ruthandroy", "rothandtroy" and a few other just simple, yet incredibly annoying mistakes. It was part of the reason I ended up changing it. Now I don't care what people call me, I've just written "Troy" in my signature to help them out. Frantique has even admitted referring to me as "The Car Guy" in her head... :whistling:

In person, though, I often get people's names wrong myself because I have moderate hearing loss, so usually I try and make a habit of asking them to spell it right then and there when I meet them. I have very good eyes and I can read well, so no problems online...

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts

I get Kay all the time. Come to think of it, though, that may just be Rocky and CCMike's typo's. :whistling:

:blink:

therock247uk

therock247uk

Expert

• Expert
  • 14,672 posts
  • MVP
*therock247uk has never called Kat Kay...

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
I am notorious for the wrong/destroyed name reply. I have a problem remembering peoples names (in person). :whistling:
Sometimes, I make the mistake online too (sorry Kat)
But for Dan77, I think its that accent you guys got up there, must not translate well online :blink:

JayBern

JayBern

• PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

But for Dan77,

:whistling:

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Strangely enough nobody has gotten my name wrong so far, despite it being tricky to spell. I'm sure that will change when I reach Dans age.

I know jwbirdsong was called Rorschach for a whole log once :)
That has to hurt the most.