Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New system won't POST

• Please log in to reply

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I just finished putting together a new build. I get one short beep indicating successfull startup. When powered on I get a Gigabye screen which gives the options to startup, enter BIOS, flash BIOS, etc. None of the options do anything. I also changed keyboards. They are both PS/2. The main 24 pin PSU connector sticks out slightly on one side. I fiddled with it for 10min or so and there is no way it is going it further. I will get a pic if you all would like. I dont know if that is a problem with the board or the PSU. I have the exact same PSU so that can be tested but that is of course the biggest hassle to swap out. After it being on the Gigabyte screen for 3-5min I powered off and felt around for heat. The CPU heatsink feels very cool but the northbride heatsink feels slightly warm. The back the the GPU feels fairly hot...

I thing Normally in this situation I would think that it would be the board. I do find it a bit stange that I do get a screen at all as well as a single short beep. That gives me hope. What do you all think?

Specifications:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R/S3R
Core 2 Duo E6750
Geforce 8800 GTS 320mb
Antec Trupower Trio 550w
2 GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800
300GB WD HDD

Edit: One more thing, I notice that when I turn it on the CPU fan doesnt start running until after the Gigabyte screen come up.

Edited by Titan8990, 13 September 2007 - 04:27 PM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
RAM was bad. We are going to RMA it. Not looking forward to it.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Glad we could help! :whistling:

Titan8990

Titan8990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
If anyone is interested:

Once I got the replacement RAM everything worked great. When I looked at the replacement stick I could tell that the old sticks' heatspreaders were not properly attached. I see that as a quality control issue. The RAM was Corsair XMS2.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Same RAM for the replacement?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Yes, that is how I was able to tell that our original set wasn't just DOA but physically defective.