Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange Folder in C:/Documents and Settings

• Please log in to reply

pitchharmonics

pitchharmonics

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Just by chance, I was looking at C:/documents and settings. There is a folder called "Songs" within it is another folder called "$$$Folder60480", within this oddly named folder is a bunch of thumbnail pictures, jscript files, and cascading file sheet documents. Some of the photos look like friends from facebook, some of the photos are only half visible, with either gray shading taking up the picture or strange geometric color shapes. Some of the jpeg images arent even viewable. There is a shockwave flash object titled "LogMeIn_Your_Computer_728x90[1]" I think this is a little strange, never made a folder like this before and never saved pictures from facebook in a folder. If anybody knows what might be going on, I'd greatly appreciate some input. Hope this isnt something done by a virus...

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi pitchharmonics...

Have you ever used LogMeIn for remote login to your machine? If you haven't, I would sure be curious as to who has been logging into your machine.

wannabe1

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
I think you might want to take a deeper look into whats going on in your machine :whistling:

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
use jotti virusscan
click browse and navigate your way the strange folder
have it scanned................

MALWARE SCANNER

Edited by Mr Freeze, 14 September 2007 - 08:28 AM.

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
Good idea Mr Freeze,
but if there is malware in there then pitchharmonics should go to the malware forum, and ask for help. :whistling:
And I never tried to upload a folder to Jotti, don't know if that would work, I usually suggest people upload files.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
he can select folder and scan files in folder

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

he can select folder and scan files in folder

uh yeah...but that's not really what you told the user to do is it? the user would have to select EACH AND EVERY file in the folder and scan them one at a time....not something i'd want to do with the amount of files i think they're talking about...why wouldn't you suggest just scanning the folder with their antivirus software? or something like that

you might wanna start being more detailed with your posts if you're wanting to stick around here

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
I would like to think thatthere antivirus is auto protect....only his may not pick up anything wrong
you know that jotti online scanner has multiple scanners
and theres a chance one or more might find some type of malware
and the comment about selecting files was directed at harrythook
how ever he start scanning files with jotti with the files he mentioned in post one

usually you get a welcome when you join a forum not a threat

if you're wanting to stick around here

have i offended you dsenette

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not specifically...but if you're wanting to help out...you're going to need to put forth more effort....give steps...be detailed...be thorough...don't just post a couple sentences with general suggestions

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
"Songs"....Update your antivirus prorgam
Scan that folder with your antivirus scanner
if it detects anything wrong with it as far as malwares concern go here and follow the steps to the malware forum

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

if its clean its up to you if you want that folder
do you have any idea how it got there
are you the only user on your computer

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I know everyone means well, but we're getting way too much help in this topic. As I started helping pitchharmonics and have asked him a question that may help us determine if this folder belongs on the machine or not, I'm going to suggest that everyone stand down until the question is answered. This is turning into a free for all which is not helping this member in the least.

I'll finish up with this one...

pitchharmonics

pitchharmonics

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I've used jotti on some of the files and nothing was found. The only other strange observation is that all the picture files are thumbnail size and when viewing the folder, the preview of pictures seems to show different pictures that weren't there before. If we look at the temporary internet folder, you would find java, picture files, swf files, etc. This folder is similar to the temporary internet file.
Back to the picture comment, I use facebook, and there are a lot of thumbnail size facebook pictures, some of them have solid grey covering up parts of the picture, some have strange bright yellow blue green with square shapes covering a portion of the pictures, others look normal.
I deleted this folder yesterday right after posting on here. And today got a program to retrieve again. Since then I've noticed that different facebook pictures are being previewed while viewing this folder, as if they'd automatically been added to the folder. Overall I don't remember making this folder, and dont understand how thumbnail size pictures got into the folder from viewing friends on facebook.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Can you move or rename the folder without ill effect?

pitchharmonics

pitchharmonics

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, folder can be moved to different directories and names of folder and files can be changed. The only other observation I've noticed is that, looking at some of the facebook pictures in the folder, one in particular says that it was created yesterday. Though modified about 5 months ago.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Rename the folder to Songs.old. Does the folder recreate itself after a time...perhaps after a visit to Facebook?