Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two copies of windows

• Please log in to reply

Loki1706

Loki1706

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have inherited a rather old computer from a friend, but it does the job. For some reason, there are 2 copies of XP professional when it boots up to let me choose from. The first one works fine, but when I tried to select the second one it would just re-boot itself again. My friend told me that he had tried to re-install Windows once because the first one was corrupted and that's how it ended up like this. He also said that old one might be an older version (don't really know much about XP, but I thought XP is XP, why would there be an older version?) I can also see two windows directories: Windows and Windows.0. I've already got some music files and started installing some programs, but it is a bit irritating to have the two Windows to choose from. Can someone advise me how I can go about getting rid of the older one?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Loki1706...

Do you know which is the active Windows directory? (Windows or Windows0)

Open Control Panel (Classic View) and double click on the "System" icon. Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. In the window that opens, click the "Edit" button. A notepad window will open (boot.ini)...copy the contents of that window and paste it here for me.

wannabe1

Loki1706

Loki1706

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
Thanks for the reply, it seems that the Windows.o is the new one because the first one is the one that works. Do I just delete the old directory then?

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If the Window.0 installation is working ok, then yes...you can delete the old Windows folder.

Open the boot.ini file again and remove the line shown in red below. Then click "File" on the notepad toolbar and choose "Save". Close all open windows and reboot. It should boot directly to the Windows.0 directory.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin