Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply

schiff

schiff

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Your help please!
When I click on the paperclip showing an attachment to a received e-mail, the result is the non-highlighted, unobtainable icon.
Can you tell me why and how to correct this?
Thanks.

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Have you gone into tools, options, security? Go there and make it less restrictive.

schiff

schiff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your time coachwife6.

Following your advice I selected "Internet Zone" and "Do allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" (first time I've ever been into OE Options!!)
The attachment details then appeared in clear form, and accessible. In two cases I could open the attachment (pdf and RTF were part of the description), in the other two they wouldn't open (pps formed part of the description). Perhaps you can tell me why?
pdf I'm familiar with but not RTF nor pps. I have no idea what these letters indicate but suspect they have something to do with the problem. To explain - I am self-taught (over 5 years), 70 years old, quite bright but I do struggle with things I can't get to the bottom of with computers. I often give up and make do without the knowledge.
But now that I've discovered geekstogo maybe I don't have to!

Warmest wishes from across the pond. schiff

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts

Other two they wouldn't open (pps formed part of the description).

Probably was a PowerPoint Slide Show.

See:

here

For you to view something like a power point slide show, you must have power point installed on your computer. If you have microsoft office on your computer, you probably have power point. If not, you would have to buy it.

Sometimes you can save it in another format. But that lesson is for another day. :tazz:

schiff

schiff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks again coachwife. I don't know how to go about seeing if I have power point installed, but I've decided it doesn't matter! The attachments I can't get to are probably not that important.
But, thanks to you, I have learnt a little bit which could help me in the future.
I appreciate it! schiff

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
rtf is rich text format, which is what you usually see in outlook and wordpad, format is filename.rtf :tazz:

schiff

schiff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks Austin

As you will see from an earlier reply I have given up the chase - at least for the pps files. When I looked up the suggested site to acquire the solution and found it cost 199$ I suddenly lost interest!

For a couple of messages that 'might' contain something of interest, it just isn't worth the expense!

But thanks anyway. schiff