Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista 64bit Business on a WSBS 2003 network.

• Please log in to reply

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Ok, as I mentioned in another post, I am getting ready to redo a small business network after Christmas. Before doing so I need to make sure all my ducks are in a row as I only have one week to get everything locked in solid before the new business year begins.

Current network is running Windows Small Business Server 2003 with 8 work stations. 7 of the workstations use Win XP Pro with SP2. One work station is running Win 2000 Pro with SP4.

2 of the 8 work stations are going to be replaced, including the one running Win 2000 Pro. The server is also going to be replaced with a new Quad Core Barcelona running Windows Small Business Server 2003.

With the two work stations that I will be replaceing, can I bring two machines running Win Vista Business 64bit into the mix? I know that I will need to get with the different software makers before I can fully do that, but just say, not including those, but just as a file server. The the 6 other machines be able to talk to the Vista machines, and will the Vista machines be able to connect to the server without any serious issues?

Other then the users having to get to know a new OS, I would like this to be as painless as possible.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
since your using 2003, essentially your network will work just like it is now. Your main task is backing up and replicating the server configuration. The server doesn't care what flavor windows your running will be.

As to software compatibility. IF the systems be replaced will have software that needs to be installed on the new systems, then you should run the vista upgrade adviser to check for compatibility.

http://www.microsoft...adeadvisor.mspx

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Actually I have already contacted the two major software makers about their programs to make sure.

The only reason I am even worried about this is because they may not even do this overhaul until after the end of the year and I believe I read somewhere that XP OEM will no longer be available after the end of 07.

Personally I use Vista at home and love it. The only network issues I have had have been with connecting to shared printers that are attached to a XP system. While that problem is pretty easy to circumvent, I havn't taken the time to do it yet.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Support lifecycle

Mainstream support for Windows XP Service Pack 2 will end on April 4, 2009, four years after its general availability. As per Microsoft's posted timetable, the company will stop licensing Windows XP to OEMs and terminate retail sales of the operating system January 31, 2008, 12 months after the release of Windows Vista.

Windows XP will begin its "Extended Support" period that will last for 5 years until 2014. First generation Windows XP (without Service Pack 2) is no longer supported; Microsoft ended the support for Windows XP RTM on September 30, 2004 and Windows XP Service Pack 1 and 1a on October 10, 2006.