Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless network but no internet

• Please log in to reply

Loki1706

Loki1706

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
Recently set up wireless broadband in my flat. Tried to get my flatmate's laptop to connect (a Sony Vaio), connects to the network fine but doesn't seem to get access to internet (Computer ----------> Wireless Network ------x----->Internet). Using XP on the Desktop and Vista on the Laptop, Router is a BT Voyager.
Loki

Advertisements

Gentoolink

Gentoolink

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Was the internet working with your computer? Or is it just the friend's laptop which will not work? Or is the wireless router straight out of the box? Please give more information.

Loki1706

Loki1706

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The computer connected to the router worked fine for surfing, it is just on the laptop that fails to connect to the net, it would show that it can connect to the router but just no access to the internet.
Thanks for your help.

Gentoolink

Gentoolink

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Does your laptop have a valid ip address? Go Start, Run, Type cmd, then in the black terminal type "ipconfig" Your ip address should be something 192.168.1.3 (if it starts with 169. then your not getting a valid ip address) Is your signal strength Excellent or just good? The security settings on the router may be blocking you from getting the ipaddress. Did you set this up with WEP or WPA? Read this Microsoft webpage to see if you did everything correctly. Microsoft

Gentoolink

Gentoolink

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Question:

Recently set up wireless broadband in my flat. Tried to get my flatmate's laptop to connect (a Sony Vaio), connects to the network fine but doesn't seem to get access to internet (Computer ----------> Wireless Network ------x----->Internet). Using XP on the Desktop and Vista on the Laptop, Router is a BT Voyager.

Answer: Does your laptop have a valid ip address? Go Start, Run, Type "cmd". Then in the black terminal type "ipconfig" Your ip address should be something like 192.168.1.3 (if it starts with 169. then your not getting a valid ip address) Is your signal strength Excellent or just good? The security settings on the router may be blocking you from getting the ipaddress. Did you set this up with WEP or WPA? Read this Microsoft webpage to see if you did everything correctly.

http://www.microsoft...p/wireless.mspx