Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Works 7: cannot uninstall

• Please log in to reply

CynJ

CynJ

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I cannot get rid of Works 7. It was included in the Manf. pre-install. I don't think I have ever used it.

1st attempt to uninstall: using Windows' Add/Remove Programs. Refused to budge

2nd attempt: tried the Change button in the A/R program. It invoked the MSWorks utility that included a Remove option.

All goes well until the Works utility tries to access the C:\WINDOWS\Installer\WORKS7.MSI file. I get an error msg:
Error 1316.A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\WORKS7.MSI
[note: there is no "WORKS7.MSI in the Installer folder]

How can I get rid of Works? I do not use it and have the manufacturer's CD if I ever need it.

Can I just get a copy of "works7.msi" to put in the Installer folder? Does this error indicate that I have never really installed/activated Works, which is why it won't uninstall? Should I just delete the folder [I've tried that]? But then how can I get it off the Add/Remove programs list?

Thank you,
Cyn
p.s. I apologize if this is the wrong forum. It looked like the closest match. TIA!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Some manufacturers, to cut down on support calls, make it hard or impossible to uninstall the pre-bundled software via the conventional routes. This prevents calls of "I deleted Microsoft Word, how do I get it back"? and so on.

If you have a CD for Works, the file it wants should be on there. or failing that, opt to reinstall Works again from the CD and there should be a repair/remove option from there.

CynJ

CynJ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Neil... I will try that. I'm fairly certain that we got a Restore CD with the laptop... often they don't even include that anymore. <ugh>

Hugs,
Cyn

mrdusty007

mrdusty007

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
:whistling: I have the same problem but I do not have the install disk. So how do I remove it? I never use it becasue I have Microsoft Office. I

also have an issue that whenever I start my computer or a program a box comes up the says: "Please wait while windows configures ccCommon" then another box comes up in front of that one & it says: "This MSI must be launched through setup" This last box comes up 3 times & I have to click OK each time for it to go away. It never use to do this, it suddenly stared a nonth or 2 ago. Can anyone help me?

Thanks