Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sporadic Wired Internet connection

• Please log in to reply

jester620

jester620

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
I have an odd connectivity problem.

My desktop (WinXP Home SP2) is losing internet connection sporadically. I have been trying to figure out if it is the router or the computer that is dropping the IP. This was going on before with my MN-500 router so i figured i would go ahead and get a new router since the MN-500 is 11Mbps wireless speed and i thought that since it was so old it was starting dropping connections.

I installed the WRT54G, no problems for about a week. then the same thing started happening again with my desktop. so i made a little batch file that released my ip and then renewed it. This seemed to work for a while and now it only works part of the time. Nothing on the desktop has changed for quite a while as far as new programs etc. I am very regular with my AV scans (avast) and spyware scans (spybot S&D etc) in addition to defrag and disk cleanup.

i made a quick diagram on gliffy.com to show my setup for those curious about my setup. Again it is my desktop losing connection, everything else seems to keep its connection.

Posted Image

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
have you tried having your desktop wired directly to the modem for an extended period of time to see if the problem continues? this would rule out the modem being messed up

jester620

jester620

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
:whistling: figures, i dont know why i havent thought of doing that! i'll try that later tonite when i get off work.

this modem is ~4 months old. i used it for 3 months at our old house without problems (with the MN-500 router). it wasn't till we moved into our new house that we started having troubles. i talked with previous owner and they had dsl with no problems. so i ruled out line problems. embarq was less than helpful when i talked to them. "line test is ok, its not our problem. Call linksys." it was all i could do not to reach through the phone and ring her little neck!

Edited by jester620, 14 September 2007 - 08:08 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

i talked with previous owner and they had dsl with no problems. so i ruled out line problems. embarq was less than helpful when i talked to them. "line test is ok, its not our problem. Call linksys." it was all i could do not to reach through the phone and ring her little neck!

typical ISP response....it still could be their problem though

jester620

jester620

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
i'll refrain from getting on my soapbox re: ISP tech support as i don't want to offend anyone on here who is ISP tech support.

anyways, i'll try to direct connect desktop>modem tonite and see if we have issues still over the weekend+. Thanks for your help Dsenette.

jester620

jester620

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Ok, i bypassed the router last nite. (Modem>desktop direct connection)

I woke up this morning with good connection to internet with the desktop machine. we left for the day and just got back. We had no connection to the internet when we got back. so i reconnected the router and rebooted the machine. Connection is re-established.

So that would eliminate the router from being the cause. so still on the questionable list: dsl line, modem, NIC, windows.

Ideas?

edit:
I checked to make sure my power settings couldn't shut off my NIC...

Edited by jester620, 15 September 2007 - 07:00 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i'd point at the modem or a misconfiguration in your account with the ISP..... there's a chance that your ISP is renewing the ip on your connection a little to frequently...but that would be like...daily...not multiple times a day...

jester620

jester620

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
i guess ill get back on the phone with embarq. :whistling:

what are some things i should make sure are set up correctly? (i.e. frequency of IP renewal, etc.)

how can i determine if its the modem and not my comp?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well...the easiest way to see if it's not your comp would be to take it to a friends house who's got a similar broadband connection and see if it still has the problem there when directly connected to their modem