Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

Legolas

Legolas

• Pip
  • 1 posts
A few weeks ago my harddrive failed (my guess is from heat) and I lost everything on it. Meaning I need to go buy a new one and install XP on it. Now I don't have any of the discs that originally came with my computer, so I have no XP installation/recover discs or a drivers disc. Im gonna create my own bootable XP installation CD using my girlfriend's computer and then use my XP registration key that is taped to the side of my desktop. But the problem is since I'm doing it this way I will not have all the proper drivers installed onto the system with the XP installation and I have no way of telling what drivers I'm gonna need since I can't access my own harddrive. Soooooooooo any suggestions on how to solve my no driver problem?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If its a Dell, you can use the express service code and go to their site for what you need.

If not, once you get the OS somewhat operational, you can use Everest (found in my signature). It will tell you everything you need to know.

Kelly Wright

Kelly Wright

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
The devices which will require drivers apart from those built-in Windows XP can be found in Device Manager. Normally they are marked as Multimedia Controller, audio controller, etc. My guess is that you will not need much to install.
But if I were in your shoes I'd definitely check the XP key if it will work with the XP install CD before you actually do an install. You can do this using girlfriend's puter, just insert CD, click Install, choose the type (Upgrade or New), and then you will be asked to enter the key. Do it and you will see immediately whether your XP key works or doesn't. This can save a lot of time later when doing an install.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Both good suggestions, double-check that it will install fine with your product key. If yours is a legal version of Windows, you can contact Microsoft and they will send you a CD for a small fee.

Basically, Everest will tell you everything that is in your computer. Once you've installed Windows, you'll just need to download all the latest drivers from the different manufacturer's websites - for example, if you have onboard video and audio, and Everest reports you have a Gigabyte xxxxx-model motherboard, you can find your make/model motherboard and download the drivers from Gigabyte's website. Then what you can do is download each driver (usually an .exe file) into it's own labelled folder, all in a master folder that you call "Drivers". Then you can burn the lot to a CD and you have yourself a driver CD, ready for next time...