Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SSL problem

• Please log in to reply

urdrwho

urdrwho

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok I use a contact manager software program called Time Matters. Until recently it had been working well on my desktop when sending/receiving e-mail through the Tm e-mail client. Now it doesn't work. The desktop is a 98 box and laptop is an XP.

I have an old ATT e-mail account that I access from my current Verizon DSL. I have no problem using the TM laptop to get e-mail. My desktop is another matter.

The desktop is on a Ethernet cable. I must use SSL and authenticate. Time Matters fails to handshake with ATT.

My Opera / Mozillia / Thunderbird / Outlook e-mail client can hand shake. The desktop TM can get my Verizon e-mail (not SSL authentication required) but for some reason the ATT (which requires SSL and authentication fails). All I can consider is that AT&T has changed their SSL needs and Win98 doesn't satisfy those needs. If I use dial up, unisng my AT&T dial up, using non SSL ports I can get my AT&T mail. Clearly it is an SSL issue.

When I test the ATT connection I receive the error message:

Unable to open client certificate store or establish client credentials.

Perhaps my spyware / anti-virus program blocked TimeMatters but where can I look to see where.
I've searched the registry for something that may look blocked. One good thing from doing the search was I found a lot of garbage and cleaned it out.

I uninstalled all spyware and antivirus programs but that didn't help. The one anti virus program Avira Anti Virus, can't be replaced because it is no longer supporting Win 98. Plus...of course that installation program that is missing from my download file.

Advertisements

sunmash

sunmash

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Here's what you should do...

Sign up for a Google Mail (a.k.a. GMail) account. Go to http://www.gmail.com or http://mail.google.com

After signing up to Google Mail, activate the Google Mail Fetcher.

You can fetch mail from your other email accounts. You'll be able to read email from up to five additional accounts, all in one place, and take advantage of all of Gmail's great features.

The email accounts you’d like to fetch must support POP access and, in the case of Gmail accounts, have POP access enabled. Some free email services don't offer POP access to their users at this time. Please contact the customer service department of your other webmail provider to determine if POP access is available in your non-Google email account.

To set up Mail Fetcher:
  • Click Settings from the top of any email page.
  • Click Accounts.
  • In the Get mail from other accounts section, click Add another mail account.
  • Enter the full email address of the account you'd like to access, then click Next Step.
  • Google will populate the Username and POP Server fields when possible, based on your email address. Enter your Password.
  • Decide whether to:
    • Leave a copy of retrieved messages on the server. If you'll only be accessing your email through your Gmail account, leave this unchecked. If you'd like to be able to access your mail directly from that account, or if you're accessing it through any other accounts or devices, click to select this option.
    • Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail.
    • Label incoming messages. If you'd like to automatically label all messages that are retrieved from your non-Google account, select this option. You can choose to use the predefined label (your email address), or you can select an existing label or create a new one from the drop-down list.
    • Archive incoming messages. Mail from this account can be archived directly, without showing up in your Inbox.
  • Click Add Account.
  • Once your account has been added successfully, you'll have the option of setting it as a custom From address. This allows you to compose messages in Gmail, but have them appear to be sent from your other email account. Click Yes to set up a custom From address.
After you set up Mail Fetcher, Google will check your other account on a regular basis, and new mail will appear automatically in your account. Gmail checks for new messages at different rates for individual accounts, depending on previous mail fetch attempts. Please note that you can't customize the default frequency of mail fetches.

You can disable importing at any time from the Accounts tab of your Settings page. Just click delete next to the appropriate email account.

After you finish with setting up the Google Mail Fetcher to retrieve your Verizon and AT&T e-mails, then configure Time Matters to use Google Mail as your primary e-mail provider.

Edited by sunmash, 09 October 2007 - 11:48 AM.