Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

router problem

• Please log in to reply

noobtech

noobtech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
I reciently got laptop with a wireless router(NETGEAR rangemax wireless router model wpn824). I connect the router to my modem(dsl) and then to my home desktop pc via hardwird. I start to go through the setup which uses internet explorer and it detects my connection but when it go's to test it, it cannot connect to the internet. The internet works fine without the router. Im running windows xp home edition. Im not network savvy really so if anyone can help out that would be great.

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
check the router. it may have some seciruty settings. quoted from http://chicagotech.net

How to fix wireless connection issues

1. Make sure all wireless devices are using the same mode, infrastructure in the most cases.
2. Make sure all wireless devices have the same SSID.
3. Make sure all wireless devices have the same WEP encryption settings if you have enabled them.
4. Make sure you have added the wireless MAC into MAC Address Control if you enable it.
5. Use ipconfig and ping to test the connection. All wireless devices must be in the same IP range.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
who is your dsl provider? Some times you need to change how your modem is set up it mat need to be setup as bridged
:tazz:

noobtech

noobtech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
my isp is verizon. If you can help me i dont know anything about networking really so if you know how to help please use detail lol. thx

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
Verizon you do need to have your modem set up as bridged if you have the 2200 modem What you need to do is just have the modem hooked up to your desktop computer without the router hooked up you have to do this manual to change it to brigded The best thing to do is call verizon and they will walk you thought this step by step at no charge.
:tazz: