Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking with MCE 2002 / 2005

• Please log in to reply

w2kj

w2kj

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I've been working on this; this week; but I'm not having much luck. I've got a hp m1080n MCE 2002 and a Compaq Presario MCE 2005; now I thought I was gonna network the two so I could share files and share a printer. But recently I've found that it's not supposed to be possible with these 2 computers. It's makin' me :blink:! Are there any "switches" to enable / disable this in the registry?

Or....are there any registry hacks or something; or any more info you can share with to accomplish this? :whistling: I would really appreciate it. :help:

Edited by w2kj, 14 September 2007 - 12:17 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
where did you find that "it's not supposed to be possible with these 2 computers"?

MCE (media center edition) is an overlay for windows XP...it's not really a whole new OS so the networking functionality should be the same

Give This tutorial by SpaceCowboy706 a read, it's got just about everything you'd need to know..

w2kj

w2kj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Well...I guess i got some misinformation, eh :whistling:. I had a major stroke almost 4 years ago that scrambled my brain, so I don't always get it right...'cause I'm still scrambled; but I do understand the whole MCE is an overlay thing....someone who is pretty sharp with this kind o' thing has tried to get this network working.

I did also go and follow the intrsuctions for SpaceCowboy's tut....but when I got to "Local Area Connection Properties on the General tab > TCP / IP > Install > Service > Add....All I have is "Service Advertising Protocol"...I did not find "File and Printer Sharing for MS". So i went back to try to find out where I messed up....but I haven't been able to find the error yet.

I'm having the same problem on the computer w/ mce 2005. Also; I have a hp psc 2175 all-in-one; printer if it matters.

Any help will definitely be appreciated.

* on a sidelight....I did manage to get the 2 computers to see each other; and am able to share files...put not to share the main printer.

**I did manage to get computer 2 to see the printer...did the add'tl printer thing....it tries to print; but i only get blank page. :blink:

Edited by w2kj, 17 September 2007 - 10:55 AM.

w2kj

w2kj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok...I'll update y'all....last nite I was able to see the 2 computers + my daughters laptop[wireless] and was able to share files as well. (believe me...i've been wanting to share the printer with her laptop for a long time and wasn't able to figure it out. My stroke didn't help either.)....until I came across geekstogo.com; I love this site!

I kept going back to SpaceCowboy706's tut, trying to following it...finally got it; it worked. I tried to read it before over and over, but the amount of text overwhelmed me. I was finally able to comprehend the steps. Anyway...last nite I was able share my printer and was also able to get the 3 of them networked. I was elated!

I love the knowledgeable staff here in this forum. I always learn something new to me when I visit here.

Ok; here's my last bug/prob is this....I can't get to get my mce2005 machine ;shared; to print....the printer recv's a signal...but all it does is spit out a blank page. Now I am using Office 2000....I don't know if that makes a difference or not...but regardless it won't allow me print (.jpg, .txt, .doc, etc......) anything. :wave: Did that make any sense? I never know. :)

Edited by w2kj, 18 September 2007 - 04:24 PM.

w2kj

w2kj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I'm sorry I can't get it. :) I can see both hardwired computers....but I can't seem to be able to access my other computer; I can't access it. This is all I get.
compaq.JPG

I'm cornfused. :wave: help!

Edited by w2kj, 19 September 2007 - 11:38 AM.