Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer and External DVD Writer networking

• Please log in to reply

nflcoach

nflcoach

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a home built PC desk top computer with a hardwire internet connection. It's been working great (as well as computers do) for 3 years. I have a Dell laptop that I have had for over 1 year. It is connected via wireless network to the internet but NOT to the desktop. Previously, I had already networked the printer from the desktop to the laptop and everything was working great. I bought an external DVD writer (I do not like the one in the laptop) and connected it via USB to the desktop. Works fine. I want to network the external DVD writer to the laptop. I was told to set up a network with the laptop using the networking tool and to make sure the share box was checked in the DVD writer. I checked the box and ran the networking tool. I then searched for the network and/or the DVD writer and my laptop found nothing. In addition, it terminated the network with my printer that was set up before. I still have wireless internet with my laptop but no printer and no DVD writer through my desktop. How do I get these to work? I don't even know where else to look. Thanks.

Advertisements

Gentoolink

Gentoolink

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Question:

I have a home built PC desk top computer with a hardwire internet connection. It's been working great (as well as computers do) for 3 years. I have a Dell laptop that I have had for over 1 year. It is connected via wireless network to the internet but NOT to the desktop. Previously, I had already networked the printer from the desktop to the laptop and everything was working great. I bought an external DVD writer (I do not like the one in the laptop) and connected it via USB to the desktop. Works fine. I want to network the external DVD writer to the laptop. I was told to set up a network with the laptop using the networking tool and to make sure the share box was checked in the DVD writer.

Answer: First of all it is not possible to network input devices such as scanners,cameras and external drives. The only way you could share the external drive is you leave it connected to one of your computers then share it on the network. You will be able to access the files stored on it from the network share. You cannot burn DVD's from network. (To use this feature you have to be connected to the localhost--which is the computer the drive is physically plugged into) You will be able to save files from your laptop if it is shared with Read/Write permissions.

I checked the box and ran the networking tool. I then searched for the network and/or the DVD writer and my laptop found nothing. In addition, it terminated the network with my printer that was set up before. I still have wireless internet with my laptop but no printer and no DVD writer through my desktop. How do I get these to work? I don't even know where else to look. Thanks.

Did you change the name of the workgroup on the laptop or the desktop?
Read this webpage from Microsoft and determine if you followed all the steps correctly when you changed your network settings. http://www.microsoft...etup/intro.mspx

What is your main reason for wanting to share the external DVD writer?

If you still have a problem please post an update of what you did exactly. Thanks.