Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD+R TO MPEG'S

• Please log in to reply

Aryan King

Aryan King

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I have several DVD+R of kids that I'd like to convert to MPEG's (I think that's the best/simplest method) to e mail to them(I guess as attachments),but I'd like to edit out some of the stuff as I make the MPEG's.

Any suggestions of "something" to preform this change,that's not too complicated????

Thanks

Advertisements

daffy_elmo

daffy_elmo

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
I recommend using OpenSource programme: Virtual Dub by Avery Lee.

Since you want to rip the .VOB files off your DVD R you need a special modified version of Virtual Dub that will import the Mpeg 2 codec.
This version of it can be downloaded for free here: http://download.vide...-MPEG224571.zip

Once you've downloaded it (it dosesn't need to be installed), just unzip it and run the .exe file.

Step 1: Go to "File> Open video file..."
Step 2: Then go to your DVD drive and select the file you want to edit first.
Step 3: Once it has imported the video file go to: "Video> Compression".
Step 4: Then select DivX from the list of codecs - not Mpeg 2 it's not as good (if you don't see the DivX codec in the list you can download the latest version here: http://download.divx...vXInstaller.exe).
Step 5: Next select "Configure".
Step 6: Select the settings you want for the compression (I recommend "Home Theatre Profile" and 400kbs per second).
Step 7: Then go to: "Video> Filters...". Click "Add...". .
Step 8: Scroll down and select "De-interlace". Select "OK".
Step 9: Scroll down and select "Resize".
Step 10: Set New Width to: "320" and set New Hight to: "240". Set mode to "Nearest Neighbour".
Step 11: Next go to: "File> Save as..."

With my recommended settings your video should come out at about 13 MB per minute. If you want it smaller (for e-mail) chang the bitrate in the DivX settings (smaller bit-rate = smaller video)

You can edit your videos the same way but before you save select the segment you want first. If you want two seperate segments of your video, just select the first segment save it and then select the second segment and save that. you can use a free tool like YAMB to join all the segments you saved into one big file later.

ps. Nero isn't all it's cracked up to be. It's a good disc burner and that's it. all the other things it does can be done with free software.

hope this helps,
daffy_elmo

Edited by daffy_elmo, 17 September 2007 - 09:27 PM.