Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Open office

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 4 posts
For no reason I can see my open office programme has started saving documents in a format I then can't open!! When I try and save as windows xp 97 it also wont let me re open. It doesnt look like a word document if that makes sense. I have tried the only technical thing I know how to do (rebooting!) and its still the same! Help please!

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
I just happened to see this particular topic 'cause I've got nothing better to do than mindlessly surf G2G.

Anyway I may be able to help. I use OpenOffice myself.

Step 1: Create a new document in OpenOffice.
Step 2: Choose "File> Save As..."
Step 3: In the dialog box that pops up make sure that "Automatic File Name Extension" is checked. (This check-box is located right under the drop down box: "Save as type")

Did this work?

if not:

Q. What extension ("*.odt" "*.doc" "*.htm" etc.) is it saving your files as making them unreadable?
(if you cant see you file extensions in windows Explorer (ie; you're just getting MYFILENAME instead of MYFILENAME.odt) Go to:

Tools> Folder Options. Click the "View" tab. Scroll down the options and un-check: "Hide Extensions for Known File Types"

It might be a problem with OpenOffice not making the right extension for the file type (thus making it un-readable unless you manually change the extension).