Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loading personal settings....

• Please log in to reply

madore9

madore9

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have an almost new IBM T41 laptop which is extremely fast....except when I login. After I enter my password and hit enter it says loading personal settings for about a minute in a half. I have 3 older computers that get by this in a second and for some reason this one takes a while, I currently only have the defaults loading during startup and not to much installed on my computer. I am thinking the computer is trying to make my network out or something, someone please help me as I have no clue what to do!!! :whistling:

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
If you have your system set to automatically acquire connection to a wireless network, this may be the reason for the delay. I suggest disabling the wireless connection until after full boot to desktop, and then enabling manually to connect. It always seems easier to wait when I'm seeing a functional desktop.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This behaviour can be caused by anti-virus/internet security software. Panda and McAfee are good at doing this.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite also. (voice of experience)

madore9

madore9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Well heres the thing nothing is loaded until after I can see my desktop, also I have all the same software on my other computers that don't do this. I tried disabling my wireless adapter but it still did the same thing.

latigid

latigid

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Startup programs should be only firewall and antivirus program
Don't use Norton or security suites.

Don't use Ace Utilities, AShampoo Win Optimizer, Registry Fixer in Norton Systemworks or any other "registry cleaning" software.

They do more harm then good, I speak from experience.

ccleaner is good for controlling startups. (tools/startup)

http://majorgeeks.co...wnload4191.html

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Things I would check:

Automatic Updates turned off?
Checkdisk run and OK?( http://support.micro....com/kb/315265)
Scannow complete? ( http://www.updatexp....annow-sfc.html)
Trash cleaned out? (ATF Cleaner: http://www.atribune....ent/view/19/2/)
Thoroughly defragged? (Jkdfrag: http://www.majorgeek...nload5542.html)

And optimized boot files.
Windows is scheduled to run a boot optimization routine about every 3 days after the system has been idle for at least 15min. Mine never idles that long, so I made a shortcut to initiate Idle Tasks manually. Right click desktop and choose New>Shortcut. In the place where it says "Type the location..." paste this:

%windir%\system32\Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

When run it will initiate the defrag utility which will sort and arrange the boot files optimally.
Don't know that it is required, but I leave my system alone for about 10-15min until it is done.

Of course, every machine is a little different, so after completing the above house-keeping, what you've got is likely what you'll get. Good luck, and let us know your progress.

madore9

madore9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Alright thanks everyone I will give those things a try.

madore9

madore9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Dam no luck...anyone else have any ideas or suggestions?

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Try creating a new user account with Admin rights and logging in there. Please be patient the first time in a new account. It takes Windows a coouple of minutes to configure properly. Once configured, Reboot and log into the new account. If things work well there, it was the account itself, and you can switch: http://support.micro...om/?kbid=811151

That being said, since the delay is after log-in (Welcome Screen) I would want to see how things worked when Windows loaded my account clean. For this I like WinPatrol: http://www.winpatrol.com/ I would use WinPatrol's start-up control panel to disable everything on the list, even security programs. Then I would unplug the internet cable, disable the wireless connection, and reboot. If that was normal, then (still without Net connection) I would "Enable" one application at a time until I discovered the culprit.

If found this way, I would replace the "bad guy" with an alternative program that provides same or similar functionality.

Advertisements

madore9

madore9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok heres an update, I made a new account it was the same problem. I then installed winpatrol and disabled all the startup programs and it was the same exact problem which is really wierd. Is it possible it is trying to map the network out or a network drive or something? I used to have a network drive but i deleted it...also I disabled the wireless adapter when I did this. Thanks for your help.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Just to confirm-- all the stuff I mentioned in my first post has been done?

madore9

madore9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yes I disabled the wireless adapter when you told me the first time and also the second post you made...it didn't do the trick. So right now it is back on.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
It could be a hardware issue. I would see what happens when booted with no peripherals connected. If you can, use a Ps/2 mouse- the kind with a small roundish wired connector instead of USB.

madore9

madore9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

It could be a hardware issue. I would see what happens when booted with no peripherals connected. If you can, use a Ps/2 mouse- the kind with a small roundish wired connector instead of USB.

I am currently only using my touch pad and red thing in the middle of the keyboard mouse, and there are no peripherals connected.