Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loading personal settings....

• Please log in to reply

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Ok. You say you used to have a network drive and deleted it. I'm wondering if you still have a network configured? Anything showing in Network Places, or the Connect to.. entries of the Start Menu?

Advertisements

madore9

madore9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Nothing shows up in Network Connections but on connect to of course my wireless adapter is there, which cant be causing the problem because this is what virtually every computer with a wireless adapter has.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Network Places. May need to change the Start menu to display this item.

madore9

madore9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Sorry I meant to say network places, nothing shows up there.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Getting to the bottom of my barrel on this one.
Any yellow exclamation points in Device Manager?
Any consistent error messages in System event logs?

madore9

madore9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Nope nothing wrong with any devices...
I looked at my event viewer and found an error that appears at every startup it is as follows:

Event id: 1507
Description:This computer is in manual policy mode, but the policy file cannot be found. Windows is logging you on without applying any policy. Return value (The system cannot find the file specified. ).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

I clicked on the link and it did not help at all, it actually said their is no information in there database....

So I did some searching and came across this link (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887303) so I went to step one just for kicks to see if it would help. When I typed in the first ipconfig command it said "An Internal error occured...."
So I am just completely clueless now as to what the real problem is, as no ipconfig commands work.

madore9

madore9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok so just for kicks I disabled the adapter again and it seemed to boot a little faster (I don't understand why it didn't before), but windows can't seem to remember that I want it to manage my wireless network not ibm access connections. I am going to mess around a little more and see if I can fix this for good and I will let you know if I can but thanks for all your help!

Edited by madore9, 24 September 2007 - 04:41 PM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Sounds like Group Policy and DNS are big here. Might try OpenDNS:
http://www.opendns.com/

madore9

madore9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I am currently using OpenDNS are you suggesting this is part of the problem or a way to resolve my problem?

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Well, could go either way depending on Group policy. I have no idea if Open DNS can provide the sort of service mentioned in the article (mostly over my head--would take study and motivation). Since you are using it, might want to try going back to bad old way to see...?

Likely a change needs to be applied in Group Policy. The setting needs to be "Not configured." But I don't know which one.

Advertisements

madore9

madore9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Well at least we now know the problem has to do with some setting, I tried switching back to my original DNS and no change. So does anyone else know how to fix this, I cant possibly disable and enable my adapter every time I logon.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Group Policy can be accessed by opening Run from the Start Menu,
typing in gpedit.msc, and clicking OK.

Once open, navigate the left hand panel. There are 2 categories,
Computer Configuration and User configuration.
Both have a sub-entry titled Administrative Templates.
As a subeset of that entry, both contain the entry "Network."

Take a look at all of the entries under "Network" in both configurations.
To change a setting, right click it in the right hand panel and choose properties.
Here there will be 3 choices: Enabled, Disabled, and Not configured.
(I would be very interested in the subset-"DNS Client.")

If you find any of the entries set to anything but "Not configured,"
change them to that setting.
No damage will obtain from "Not Configured."
This just means that the Windows default will be in effect.
Group policy is not altering those defaults with a "Not configured" setting.

madore9

madore9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I seemed to have fixed it disabling one of microsoft auto startups with sysinternals from microsoft, figures i figure this out after i reset my computer back to factory settings oh well, I didn't have to much on my hard drive. Anyway thanks for trying to help me I really appreciate it!

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Well, glad you got it sorted.