Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Firewall V.S. Modem/Router Firewall

• Please log in to reply

TaterState

TaterState

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
There is no "problem" with my current configuration, I would like your suggestions for optimal performance and a setup that will help maintain a stable network.

I have a DSL Home Network wired like this:
Phone cord to the Qwest 2701HG-D Modem/Router
Ethernet cable to two computers (one with malware reported on another thread - probably not firewall caused)
Ethernet cable to a print server
Wireless is active due to TaterTot's laptop.

The Modem/Router has it's own firewall which I've configured, PW protected, and made not pingable. So my question is:

Can I/Should I turn off Windows XP Firewall even though there does not seem to be a problem with both firewalls working?

What changes (additional hardware, software or settings) could I/should I make to obtain a desired level of protection?

Your answers/advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi, TaterState :blink:

Here's the deal... Your Router firewall will do a pretty good job of preventing anyone from accessing your computer through unauthorized ports, and will stop anyone from hijacking your internet from across the street, especially because you password protected access. Now, Windows firewall might block intrusions in similar ways, but in my opinion, it's a weak firewall. I prefer to see a status on the firewall, and to have some more options. I personally favor Zone Alarm ... Zone Alarm will prevent any program or access attempt from coming through to your computer unless you authorize it. For example, until you allow access to Internet Explorer, it is denied access to the internet. It takes a day or so to get Zone Alarm "trained" so you don't have to click on these buttons all the time, but I think it's totally worth it. Once you install another firewall, turn off the Windows Firewall.

Let me know if you have any additional questions, or just need something clarified :whistling:

TaterState

TaterState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
TY for clarifying that. Next problem:
I d/l the ZA setup eng and then 2Xc on it. I select XP/2000 radio button > Next > D/L & Install radio button > Next > . The Download and Install window appears for about 10 seconds and then a Windows Error Message appears stating:
"Setup was unable to find the msi package or patch
'http://redirect.zone...ng=en&link_id=1

Is this their problem or are my browser settings so tight that it can't go fetch the program? I did not have this problem retrieving the Setup engine, I did not change any setting after the initial d/l.

Thanks . . . again

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Let's trace your steps...

(1) Follow this link...

(2) Click on "I only want basic Zone Alarm protection"

(3) Download should start

Sorry I didn't tell you to do that, I forgot that it isn't a direct link. Try that now.

Edited by Facedown98, 15 September 2007 - 02:14 PM.

TaterState

TaterState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Consider it weird, but whether I choose Save to my C: and run from there or Run from the first window, the same thing happens. I turned off my Pop-up blocker, Avast and Ad-Watch 2007 and still the same thing. A Windows error message as reported above.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
hhhmm... That's odd... I'm starting to get those as well...

Well, Zone Alarm isn't the only choice :whistling: I've always been torn between Zone Alarm and Comodo Personal Firewall. Both are free and will work well. Download Comodo by clicking here ...

I haven't used Comodo for some time now, but I'm sure I can answer any questions you have about it :blink:

TaterState

TaterState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Facedown98, Thanks for staying with this little problem. The Comodo d/l and install went fine. Maybe the ZA site is PMSing today, I'll try later next week sometime. Again, thanks a ton. Hope you're having a great weekend.

fp in id

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Glad everything went well :help:

If Zone Alarm suddenly comes back, and you wish to install it, just make sure comodo is uninstalled. Only one protector per computer :whistling:

Glad I could help you, let me know if you have further questions :blink: