Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stumped

• Please log in to reply

rileydogmi

rileydogmi

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have built many systems but this is my first Core2Duo build

Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 motherboard
Corsair CM2X1024-8500CSD memory (2 1GB sticks)
Core2Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz processor
Tagan ITZ 1100W Power Supply

I put this together with a EVGA GeForce 7200GS video card - nothing else. Put it on a bench without case or other peripherals.

When I turn it on, the power supply cycles on and off - the fan on the CPU heat sink will spin for a second, then shut off. This cycle repeats itself until I turn off the power supply - no beeps, nothing on the monitor. The cycle is only a few seconds - the power supply fan goes on and off like the CPU fan.

My instincts were a bad power supply - so I go a Silverstore 1000W power supply and hooked it up - same results.

So, it must be the CPU or the motherboard? I checked the CPU and it seems to be seeded fine.

Anyone else ever had this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Wayne

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The gigabyte motherboards are really fussy when it comes to RAM, pull out the hard drive and try to boot to BIOS.
I'm not sure what your memory's required voltage is, as google doesn't produce any results for your RAM's model number. Could you give me a link to the site that you got your RAM or look on the packaging to verify the voltage required by this memory.
The default voltage is 1.8V, your memory will likely be in the 2.1V-2.3V range, don't adjust anything till you find this number, because I don't want you to overvolt your memory, just keep an eye out for voltages in that range on your packaging.
As soon as you get this build up and running I highly suggest you go to gigibytes site and update the BIOS.
James

Edited by james_8970, 14 September 2007 - 05:36 PM.

rileydogmi

rileydogmi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I never thought it would be the RAM - I don't have anything but the RAM, CPU (and HS) and video card on this system... No HD - nothing - just trying to get it to beep.

Here is a link to the RAM - Gigabyte claims this is compatible but...

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145043

Thanks for the quick reply!

Wayne

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Can you not boot into BIOS?
James

rileydogmi

rileydogmi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Nope - it acts like it is going to boot and the system keeps restarting - no beeps, no video. I am beginning to think the motherboard is DOA. I reset the CPU, swapped RAM, changed power supplies. I don't have another CPU to try so I guess it could be that.

When I power on, PSU fan runs, the CPU cooler fan runs about 2-3 revs then the system restarts (power supply reboots the system). No screen flash, words, nothing. No beep.

This one has got me really stewing.

Wayne

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Unless you can sawp CPU's there really isn't any way of ruling out the CPU, however I'm like you, leaning to the possiblity DOA on the motherboard. Will the computer boot into BIOS if you remove the RAM compleatly? If not I'd contact gigabyte.
James