Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

keyboard shortcuts lag

• Please log in to reply

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Hey gang,

so I've got XP Pro running on a brand new laptop, fresh image and all. I'm used to having a G15 keyboard, so I've started using the built-in to Windows hotketys, especially WIN+E

WIN+E brings up explorer, at the my computer location. usually this works fine, but every off-chance, for no apparent reason, this operation lags for over 3 minutes.

Why?! Please tell me this isnt a windows-bourne problem, or I'll just have to cast it off alltogether, im fed up with microsoft's incompetance.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Vaillant! Sorry for the wait, let's take a quick look. I may not be able to solve the problem, but let's at least get the ball rolling :)

If you have the Task Manager open (just leave it open and continue working), the next time this 3-minute lag happens, what processes are being used the most? Have a look under the Processes tab for CPU (which is a %) and Mem Usage. Report your findings.

Also see if you can pick up on anything that is happening at the same time. For example, if your anti-virus decides to check for an online update at this same time, then it might be causing some problems.

When the computer is lagging for 3 minutes to complete this task, does the computer freeze? Are you able to perform other tasks without any apparent loss in performance?

Also, try just opening My Computer from the desktop with your mouse for a while, does the same problem happen at all?

Hopefully we can pick up on something. :wave:

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Actually ironically this problem is no longer an issue... The explorer.exe was having problems but I got a hotfix straight from microsoft (untested and unavailable to the general public) that fixed my problem, somehow my explorer was having MANY problems because the ICS firewall was disabled. This hotfix resolves that problem.

Thanks for your input all the same :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That's great! Thanks for letting us know :)