Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PartitionMagic messed me up

• Please log in to reply

pooneh

pooneh

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I had windows vista on my HP pavilion dv5000. I tried installing PartitionMagic 8 to manipulate my external hard drive partitions. After I installed the program with some errors and began running the program, I asked it to partition my drive. The laptop was restarted by PartitionMagic to do the partitioning. The system never booted up after the restart, giving me an error on start up saying something like partitionMagic is missing some files.
I tried installing Windows XP since I didn't have my vista dvd, without formatting the drive, but none of the .xml files of windows could be copied. Then I reformatted the drive and tried installing xp again, but again, I am getting some errors in the installing stage, saying some files are missing.
I have no idea what I need to do to fix this problem.
PlEASE help!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is the third HP DV5000 I've read on here already that has the same problems. Looks like a whole bunch of these machines have gone out with faulty sticks of memory, and yours is another one.

If the machine is under warranty, return it claiming faulty memory, of which a sign is when a computer makes heavy weather of copying things from a CD when there are no scratches or defects in the media.

pooneh

pooneh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your response.
The machine is not under warranty as I bought it 1.5 years ago and it had a 1-year one.

What do you suggest as a solution? burning XP on some other CD and try installing it again?

Thanks a lot for your response in advance.