Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems Booting

• Please log in to reply

Kovia

Kovia

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I went out yesterday and bought basically an entirely new computer and when I try to boot it up, all that happens is the fan on the graphics card and the cpu fan turns on, all the correct LEDs on the front also work.

I have no power to the HDD and the CD Roms dont work when they are plugged in with the IDE Cable, if i take the IDE off they work fine but the hard drive still doesnt boot.

I have tried reseating the CPU, CPU Fan, Reseting BIOS, Checked Jumpers.

=========================================

Computer Spec:

MSI K9N4 Ultra (So the box said... MSI website says its a MSI K9N4 Ultra-F)
1GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667/533/400
Verto PNY GeForce 7600 GS PCI-E
400w PSU

=========================================

After messing with this I fixed the problem where the components have no power but when I turn the computer on the monitor has no video feed, how am i able to determine if its an issue with the ram chip or with the graphics card.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Take them out.
Take the memory out, if it beeps, memory problem.
Take the card out, if it beeps, graphics problem.
Also reset the CMOS, normally moving a little jumper somewhere near the battery.
Of course its perfectly possible your new board is dead out of the box.

Kovia

Kovia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Having now tested the ram and the graphics card in another computer, they are working fine but there is still no video feed from the monitor and I have no idea why this would be

Kovia

Kovia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Ok so after swapping motherboards from the MSI K9N4 Ultra-F (which has no onboard graphics) to the MSI K9VGM-V (which has onboard graphics).

When plugging the components in and attempting to boot the system with the onboard graphics, the GeForce 7600GS is not even plugged in. It gives the Beep Codes.

one long, two short which indicates a video failure with an award bios.

==============================

Now, if i am getting a video error from the onboard grapics without even having my GeForce 7600GS plugged in, then surely that would mean its a fault with the actual motherboard?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I would agree with that too, unless your Power Supply is faulty... What brand is it? Can you post a link to a webpage with some specs?

ch1ll1n

ch1ll1n

• Pip
  • 6 posts
im having the same problem with mine.. except i have no onboard video.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi ch1ll1n,

I see you already have your own thread with your problem, so just make sure you don't go confusing those who are helping by butting in on different threads.

Cheers :whistling:

Kovia

Kovia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Here is the link to information on the motherboard:

http://www.msicomput...p?model=K9VGM-V

I think the PSU was just a 400watt own brand (CompUSA) but i will check and edit the post as required

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I think the PSU was just a 400watt own brand (CompUSA) but i will check and edit the post as required

Well I would suggest the Power Supply, if it's a generic then it would be the first thing I check. I suggest you avoid them like the plague, and only rely on quality-brand supplies. Yes, they are much more expensive, but without power, your computer only makes a very nice door-stop.

Kovia

Kovia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Well I would suggest the Power Supply, if it's a generic then it would be the first thing I check. I suggest you avoid them like the plague, and only rely on quality-brand supplies. Yes, they are much more expensive, but without power, your computer only makes a very nice door-stop.

this is a friends computer I am building, I will tell him to change the powersupply because i warned him about own brand power supplies as well, but if its not the PSU then it would have to be the motherboard if the onboard graphics dont work?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

this is a friends computer I am building, I will tell him to change the powersupply because i warned him about own brand power supplies as well, but if its not the PSU then it would have to be the motherboard if the onboard graphics dont work?

This is exactly what I would be checking :)

Kovia

Kovia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Thanks for the help, just to let you know i got it fixed and works nice and smooth.

The issue was because the PSU he bought was a 20+4 pin, I made him replace it with a 24+4.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Alright, thanks for letting us know. Glad you got it sorted! :)