Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Dying After 1 sec.

• Please log in to reply

bimbo36

bimbo36

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I just built my first computer. Everything is hooked up correctly but when I go to turn it on, all the fans and LED's turn on for about one second but then it all dies. Does anyone have any ideas at all?

Edited by bimbo36, 15 September 2007 - 12:12 PM.

Advertisements

macko01

macko01

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Did you try the idea i gave u in Live Chat ?

If so was it succesful :S ?

bimbo36

bimbo36

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Did you try the idea i gave u in Live Chat ?

If so was it succesful :S ?

Yeah I tried it but it did not work.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
What was the idea in live chat? It might help us if you mention it, so we don't go around in circles... :whistling:

Can you please post the specs of each part in your build? Links to a webpage would be helpful. All I can suggest at this stage is to make sure everything is connected properly, you can try disconnecting and reseating every cable just to be double-sure.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Nine times out of ten the PSU is faulty in that situation. Sometimes it is the board but it is most likely your PSU. Do you have another power supply you can swap it out with?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This was resolved in chat. The motherboard had been installed without using stand-offs and was shorting the the chassis.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I've actually done that before myself :whistling:.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I've also recently learnt that not all standoffs are the same, I was moving a motherboard from one case to another and the screws wouldn't go in, they just kept stripping the standoffs... So I had to swap all of the standoffs as well... :whistling: