Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP keeps restarting!

• Please log in to reply

mrblue

mrblue

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I've been very silly!!

I've got a Sony Viao laptop on XP service pack 2, and managed to keep it virus and spyware free ever since new (as far as I'm aware).

About 2 hours ago, for some reason, I decided to try some new anti-spyware - Threatfire, after reading the blurb on the web site, it seemed ok. Now I DON't think that it's bad, I think it's conflicting with software that I already have, because now when I start the laptop, I can type in my password, it displays all the icons on my desktop, then displays a blue screen with a system error message and restarts itself. (The message is very fast so not entirely sure what is says). The problem was caused after the new spyware scan hung in the middle of its first scan, it said it had found 6 hidden spyware on the D drive... I turned it off then on again because it was hanging, and it hasn't worked since.

The reason I don't think it's too bad is because I CAN LOG ON AS A GUEST, and everything works normally. In fact, I'm typing this right now on the said laptop logged in as guest.

I need to log in as myself and go back to a recent system restore point, but it restarts itself before I get a chance! Guest doesn't have administrator rights, so cannot uninstall programs etc.

Now I have the System Recovery Disc, but that would delete everything on my C: drive and take it back to factory delivered state, (and leave the D: drive intact) and it would take me hours to reinstall all the Service Packs and my propietary software. I don't think I've done too much damage to my laptop because I'm typing this on it right now, logged in as guest. Surely I don't need to wipe the whole C: drive and start again?

I can type "cmd" when I log in as guest and get to the DOS prompt.... I can copy all my documents in Documents and Settings to the D: drive at least. Obviously, copying the "Program Files" from the C: to the D: drive wouldn't work, before I did a recovery.

I tried starting in Safe Mode but nothing happened.

So my question is, is there a way to get back to a restore point, or is a complete system recovery the only answer. I think a system recovery is a bit drastic at this stage! However, if there's no other way I'm happy to spend my Sunday afternoon re-loading all my software, even if it takes me hours!

Managed to read the error message now: it says "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".

Edited by mrblue, 15 September 2007 - 04:25 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi mrblue...

Go to the Advanced Boot options (where you choose Safe Mode) and choose "Safe Mode with Command Prompt". Give it time to load...when you get to the logon screen, you should be offered an "Administrator" account to log on to...choose that one.

To run a system restore from there, type the following, pressing enter after each:

cd \

windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

This should start the system restore feature.

wannabe1

killer12

killer12

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
You could also try to go to the malware board to find out if you have any malware that might be causing the problem on your main account but not guest. I'm not sure but you might want to check.

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Hi mrblue...

Go to the Advanced Boot options (where you choose Safe Mode) and choose "Safe Mode with Command Prompt". Give it time to load...when you get to the logon screen, you should be offered an "Administrator" account to log on to...choose that one.

To run a system restore from there, type the following, pressing enter after each:

cd \

windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

This should start the system restore feature.

wannabe1

wannabe1.

What can I say?

I followed your instructions.

My laptop NOW WORKS PERFECTLY AGAIN! You are awesome!

GEEKSTOGO ROCKS!

Just a quickie... just checked my Program Files and there are folders for Threatfire and other software that I loaded AFTER the System Restore point. Should I just delete these folders or try to do a proper uninstall from Add/Remove programs in Control Panel?

Anyway, this is not really that important, so again, many thanks for your help sir!!

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

You could also try to go to the malware board to find out if you have any malware that might be causing the problem on your main account but not guest. I'm not sure but you might want to check.

Thanks for your input killer, much appreciated.

I've now fixed the problem, and I wouldn't have known how to go to the malware board anyway!

I suppose one way of insuring I can do a restore more easily next time is to give GUEST administrator rights!

Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad everything is back as it should be! :whistling:

The folders you mentioned no longer have registry entries associated with them...they can be simply deleted. I give all accounts admin permissions unless they absolutely must be restricted (like for kids).

Take care...

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Glad everything is back as it should be! :whistling:

The folders you mentioned no longer have registry entries associated with them...they can be simply deleted. I give all accounts admin permissions unless they absolutely must be restricted (like for kids).

Take care...

I thought you'd be asleep at this time as you're some hours behind London I think!

Just deleted the folders as you suggested. I don't think Threatfire is bad software, PCTools are quite reputable I think.
Maybe I downloaded the beta version by mistake. However, I won't be trying it again! That'll teach me to try to get free anti-Spyware! I may as well pay the $18.99 and get Lavasoft adaware 2007 instead.

Best regards.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
AdAware 2007 is available free for home use. It's all in how you set the licensing when you install. If I could remember the exact wording of that part, I would share the information. It isn't the full featured install, though, and $18.99 isn't much to pay for peace of mind.

I try to stay with just a few trusted tools to stay on top of my machine. NOD32 AV, AdAware 2007, Spybot S&D (no tea timer), and the Windows firewall. I've never been infected with anything worse than a few cookies. The software you mentioned may be good, but you must remember that every machine is different and what works well on one machine may not work so well on another. Find a few that work well on your platform and stay with them.

And you're right...it's a little after 1AM here and I'm heading for bed. :whistling: