Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Accounts on PC

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
At last - you could not have said it better! I understood from MS bulletin the same info but when I ask other PC friends they seem not to ever have heard of such. So thus the reason for my need to study more.

Right now I am in a confused situation on my PC. I seem to have three accounts showing on the log in screen:

1 - Ad admin. account which I have just rediscovered - seems to have either been hidden or just not showing for some reason. Know it is an old account because it shows email from June of last year!

2 - an admin. account with admin. privileges yet shows on log in screen as unknown name

3 - a User (limited) account also as unknown name which I have been using for daily use.

My aim:-

a - find out if no. 1 is the system admin. account, hide it (need to learn how to do so) and before I do

b - name no. 2 and give it admin. privileges which am not sure how to do

c - and then delete the 3 account as have no need for it. I live alone and am the only user on my PC. Can always create or use guest account when grandchildren are here.

Hope I have made myself clear on these issues. If you need any more info to give me your help will be happy to oblige OR if you can direct me to a learning resource will greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance for your time and efforts.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

It appears to me that I have four accounts: donnajean
DJH
Administrator
User

Okay.. When you start your system, are these the accounts showing on your logon screen?

Murray

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
When I boot up I have just three accounts showing:

administrator - the old one which has data on it dated back to June 06
DJH I created as a User Account and is limited
donnajean created as an Admin. account because the other one was not showing

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
The Administrator account is the one you have to keep. That is the system admin account. From it, you can change the account status of any other including one that has admin properties.

You could dump any one of the other two although I would keep the one with Admin options.

Once you decide, you can hide the main admin account so it doesn't show on boot up.

Murray

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
At last - on the way to recovery and understanding! Have few questions if you don't mind.

1 - how do I hide the system account/

2 - after I dump other account DJH (limited privileges), and make donnajean an admin. acount, will I have to still go back and forth between donnajean account and system admin account? Or will donnajean account have download privileges, able to see some files I cannot as DJH account?

3 - when I delete DJH account, are there any cautions I need to follow so I do not delete something that will affect the other accounts?

My system admin account is quite old and so does not have some files that the other two now are carrying.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
1: Follow the instructions HERE Just make sure you make the value a 0.

2: No. Once you remove the main Admin account from the boot screen and delete the account you don't want, all you will have showing is the account you have left.

3: Nothing will go except that account and the settings for that account only.

Murray

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Bless you bless you - at long last answers I can understand. Will follow through and report back my success I hope. Not too comfortable in the registry as have heard so many dire things about it, but will try after saving a copy first of course:)

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Have been working on getting favorites transferred before I delete my User Account (limited) named DJH.

Went to do a restore point in case I messed up and discovered in my admin. account that I will be using for daily work named donnajean, (it is not the system admin), I could not do a restore as it said I needed admin. privileges.

I thought the window you access through control userpasswords2 made this possible. But evidently not. Also found could not look at some files, access some file, use some downloads in this donnajean account.

So if I hide the system admin. account will be left with the admin. account donnajean but unable to do several needed things. Does this mean I then have to go into the registry, re-enable the system admin. account everytime I want to do something and get the message 'need admin. privileges?

Before I proceed further want to make sure I do not do something wrong and get into trouble:(

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
As a test, make another account and set it up as one with Adim capabilities.

Now try to do those things.

Murray

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Created a 'test account' and was able to download quite well, looked at files and saw all I tried so guess that the new account is OK.

Does this mean then I need to delete both DJH (limted account), donnajean (old admin account) and go with test account?

If so is there anyway possible I can export my favorites from donnajean account to the new test account? When I was wrestling with the other two accounts (donnajean and DJH) re favorites I tried literally everything under the sun to import, export, copy, paste, etc. but was never able to accomplish the transfer. A wizard would open up and I followed it through to the end but always got the same result - some error message that the wizard could not find the file or it was not an HTM file. I could do the shared files bit OK but they would not show up when I went to Internet Explorer. Only way I could do it was to spentd hours opening sites and creating new favorites to put into the DJH from donnajean account - tiring job.

So now if I go with this new test account as a new admin. account with privileges I will be stuck again re the favorites unless you know of a way to accomplish the task.

Advertisements

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
added note: Just was checking the default status of this 'test account' on control userpasswords2 screen and it says it is restricted re privileges so not sure how I was able to download a program.

This is where I went to determine the privileges of the donnajean account and though I had set it to administrator privileges, it would not permit downloads.

So remain somewhat confused as to where and how to set privileges for accounts. Can advise?

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Longer I search around, the more I understand what you are saying. I just stumbled onto Power User account and what privileges it has. Remember you saying I should consider it at one time but was too taken up with other ideas then So now maybe can entertain same idea re privileges for this new account?

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Another discovery - thought while I was waiting for your reply would go ahead and password my system admin. account and be ready to proceed with your other instructions. Much to my surprise, the admin. account promptly up and hid itself.

So I guess one way to hide the sys. admin. acct. is to password it?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Keep the new account as your main account. You can make it a power user if you like but I would keep it as the admin account and use it.

Just go into Windows Explorer and click on the C; drive and then Documents and settings. From there you can copy and paste all your Favorites, etc over to the new account.

Just follow the instructions in the following link..

http://support.micro...kb/811151/en-us

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 24 September 2007 - 02:44 PM.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Before I could do anything I have suddenly gotten a blue screen with info of serious error and need to shut down and reboot. Followed through on this and was able to get this message as to what happened. Seems to have something to do with the new account I just made.

Help and Support | Security | Microsoft Update

Browser security settings may impair site functionality
JavaScript must be enabled Windows Error Reporting uses JavaScript to display content correctly.Please ensure that your browser security settings meet the following requirements:· JavaScript must be enabled.
Technical Information
How to Troubleshoot Hardware and Software Driver Problems in Windows XP (Q322205)

Problem caused by Device DriverYou received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.More information Problem report summaryProblem type Windows stop error (a message appears on a blue screen with error code information)
Solution available? No
What does this problem mean? Windows has encountered a problem it cannot recover from and it needs to be restarted
Cause Unknown
Computer symptoms A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)
Additional steps for you to take Please continue to send problem reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible

© 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of use | Accessibility | Privacy Statement | Trademarks

I also was able to copy this info from the report to MS which is the path I guess about the error:

C:\Documens~\test ac~1\LOCALS!1\temp\WER4A24.dir00\Mini092407-01.dmp

Hesitate to do anything until further consultation from you.