Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Accounts on PC

• Please log in to reply

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Dump those and make the transfer as I have suggested.

As for deleting the account, you were already given instructions on how to do that..

http://windows.about.../deleteuser.htm

Murray

Advertisements

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Tried the copy/paste as suggested. But when I go to paste in new account, the 'paste' menu item is grayed out so cannot use.

Also followed the link for deleting accounts and I do not get the same windows info the lady is showing on her links. At the last window I have no 'option' listed that says delete. Nor do I get all the info on the screen as show in the demo.

Feel you have spent enough time and energy is guiding me this far so will continue inputting IE sites in by hand and not sure what/how to delete files as yet. Do thank you for all your time however, You have been most helpful in guiding me this far.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
I think I see what the problem is re my deleting accounts and the link you provided - the lady is addressing Windows Vista I believe and I have XP.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Did you read the title?

Delete User Accounts in Windows XP Where/How do you get Vista?

Did you bother clicking on each of the headings? It shows what to do should your Window look a little different.

Murray

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
In searching around that site, she talks about Vista so thought perhaps this is the version she is referring to. I am beginning to feel guilty about using so much of time on the site.

Just am too much of a novice to be going back and forth trying to figure out what to do. I am feeling like I do when I try to figure out something with my son who has his own computer business and does government work. He talks so far above me and cannot realize that I simply do not understand some of the basics of what is going on. He gets too impatient to put up with my continuing questions and I can understand that.

Think I would feel the same way trying to explain therapeutic philosophies (which is my former work) to an initiate and only by writing at that.

I have been around and around on that site and still cannot achieve the same wordings in some of the windows that the lady does on the site. So do not know what I am missing/doing wrong. But will keep on keepin' on.

Still cannot get favorites in by copy/paste as the area is grayed out on my PC for paste so will simply put in manually. Gets the job done if it takes longer. And as for deleting will still keep researching that site and others on MS until I stumble across how to do it or what I am missing via the site you suggest.

And again thanks for all your help.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You are doing fine. That being said, it may be smarter of you to put all the docs, pics, files, etc. you need on a cd or flash drive and just do a complete re-install.

During the re-install, you can set a new System Admin account and then have the option to set a new user account with admin capabilities.

Murray

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Hey I am home free! Been working ever since this AM and finally have arrived! Found what I was missing out on and when I did everything fell into place. Won't bore you with details unless it would be helpful to others what I went through.

So suffice it to say I now have just two accounts, the system admin. and my user account, both passworded - got all my files saved, favorites acomplished (and found out what I needed to do EXTRA for that copy/paste you talked about.

Also was able to follow along the site you sent when I got on the right account to do so and deleting accounts was then NO problem.

Only thing I want to do yet is make my user account able to do more administratively as in download files, install some programs - not sure this can be done. Found a place to make it a power account - but it won't hold. So maybe just more 'stumbling around' :) will finally get me there.

Sure has been a rewarding learning lesson and I don't regret all the frustration, bit of cussing here and there :wave: - well worth it because now I know about accounts and how to handle. Could not have done it without you.

Glad you put up with this 83 year old Senior Citizen.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Not a problem. If your 'new account" is "administrator", just leave it as such.

Glad we could help.

Murray

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
It is not but will find a way to give it some more privileges hopefully. :)

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Hope this thread is not yet closed - have another question. All is working well but still making some necessary adjustments. Because I am will be working back and forth between admin and user accounts.

Therefore, how necessary is it to password them until I finish? It is 'a pain' to be forever typing in passwords all the time. When finished will password admin. account, how neccessary is it to password the user account? and have a separate password for use on the internet.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
It isn't as long as you don't mind anyone else using your system.

I have no password on my main user account.

Murray

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Thanks again for the tip. Keepin' on keepin' on.:) Things going smoothly so far. Just getting into the necessity for some of the shared files. If I opened a guest a account for someone, would not want them into shared files.

But all else working well. Thanks to you.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Not a problem. Glad we could help.

Murray

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
After making the changes re accounts I am now getting a small window opening up all the time when on PC that my computer has no anti-virus protection.

I am using i-avast and I continually get verbal updates; control panel (add/remove) shows avast installed; and before I made the changes re accounts I never got the notification that PC was not protected.

Not concerned about protection but trying to get rid of that little window opening up all the time. It give me no options to turn it off. Any suggestions?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Go into Control Panel and click on Security Settings. You can turn it off in there.

Or, use the "Help" option and search "Security Notification".

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 03 October 2007 - 09:43 AM.