Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Accounts on PC

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Found the place you were referring to and turned it off. In the process ran into an article about how to fix this situation in Windows so will follow it through also.
Again thanks for the tip and off to the races yet again:)

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
No problem.

Murray

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Please see attachment and tell my why my test account is not deleted here since I deleted it via administrator account. It also is not listed in the accounts via the path of control userpassword2.

When I tried to delete it in windows explorer both in my User Account and Admin. account I get denied access to accomplish same. Nor can I rename it. Am curious as to why this occurred and am wondering if there is any confusion having test account listed in Win Exp.

Test account was made when I was accomplishing adjustment of all accounts and you had suggested making a clean account to use as a User Account and distribute files accordingly. So I thought I would just delete the test account but it does not seem to be deletable or renamed.

I tried to upload an attachment but it does not seem to be working or else I do not know how to do it. It merely showed the existence of the test account and withint it listed the User Accounts. Just wondering if this situation will cause problems further down the line.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
No problems.

I have 4 accounts on one of my systems all pertaining to me.

Murray

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
OK - thanks for the reassurance. Will carry on.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
have User account set to power group so it is not a limited account but still finding it confining. Have to go back and forth between it and admin. account so much to do anything.

MS report said once admin. was set up to hide it but to do so would be an extra chore to bring it out each time you can't do something on the User account.

So how risky is it to use the admin. account ALL the time?

OR is there away to give User account even more privileges? Have been looking around but not been able to find such.

If I were to use the Admin. account would heavily password it and then use different password in surfing the web, but maybe this is still too risky?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Just make the account an Administrator account. It is NOT the same as the System Admin account but has more permissions.

Murray

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Oh ok will try to do that. May have to return to see exactly how but will give it the 'go on my own' first.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Back again - for some reason I cannot get the

RUN/ control passwords2

to operate. Have no idea what happened but it just flicks and does nothing when I try to get it to run and operate. So at a loss as to how to get to the windows where I think one give a user account administrative privileges.

Can help?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Murray

Advertisements

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
OK will give that a try - thanks very much.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Followed this path: logged on as system admin.

control panel/user accounts/picked user account to change/change account type/ "and here there were only two options:

Administrative Limited

chose administrative

Still in user account could not download and install programs so am I in the wrong place for profile change?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
That should be the right place. As it stands, for some reason you aren't getting full control like you should.

At this point, because you have everything you need backed up, I would suggest a re-install.

I can link you to a very good tutorial complete with pics if you choose to go this route.

I just need to know if you are installing WinXP Home or Pro.

Murray

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
It will be Win XP Pro

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts