Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM timings

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi guys, just wondering what this means and if I can extract better performance from my current RAM. I purchased them in a matched set and never had a problem with them, but I was just cruising my computer and decided to check out CPU-Z, wondered what it meant and if I could get them running the same speed (200MHz).

Cheers. :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi FPVDriF6...

Post another screenshot with the "Memory" tab selected...that's where the actual timings are displayed. The tables display the modules' potential at preset "clocks".

wannabe1

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Alright, analyze this Mr. Smarty-pants... :wave:

Man I'm so confused, so what does that mean? :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's the lowest Latency I've ever seen! Your machine must be really fast.... :)

Does it display the timing information if you use cpu-z v. 1.41 instead of v. 1.40.5?

I haven't used cpu-z enough to know how common an issue that is. I know there are some cpu's it has trouble with...not sure about ram modules, though.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
:) CPU-Z version 1.41 does the same thing...

So my pic in Post #1 is just showing the capabilites of my RAM, not what each module is doing? And yeah, as far as I'm concerned it runs reasonably quick :wave:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
IF your RAM is running to specs, it's likely at 133MHz...which is good. RAS and CAS timings of 3 clocks or less is pretty darn good. In your case, if you increase the RAM voltage a tad to run at 200MHz, the Latency will go up and so will the heat produced. You would not make significant gains in performance by increasing the RAM's speed timings.

The "Tables" show the information stored on the module's control board.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It's DDR PC-3200, so shouldn't it be running to specs = 200MHz? Either way, it says voltage 2.5V for each, which looks pretty high to me... I'm not sure how to change the voltage, though. I'm very familiar with my BIOS (ASUS P5S800-VM Motherboard), and haven't seen an option before about RAM voltages...

Thanks for the replies, by the way! :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're right, that board will likely be running at 200MHz.

In your BIOS, the RAM configuration settings are under the Advanced heading in the Jumper Free Configuration sub heading. It would appear to be pre-stepped rather than fully configurable, but if it's on the lowest setting, 2.55v, that should be 200MHz.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I think I've just found the answer under Everest Home Edition. I didn't realise it had so much information... But my RAM is capable of running at either 133MHz or 200MHz, so those are just the options. Everest also shows that currently my board is running at 200MHz (400MHz effective), and my timings are 3-4-4-8.

Sweet! Thanks for your help. I hope my new rig I'm building soon kicks this one... :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You are quite welcome. :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Okay I've just double-checked this, it says my timings are supposed to be 3-4-4-8, but apparently they are running in 3-4-5-6... Any idea what order these things are called so I can change them? Would changing it be better?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You could probably kick up your RAM voltage a tenth of a volt or so, but your very best option would be to move to RAM with inherently lower latency...like Corsair. With your RAM already running at 200MHz which is what the mobo is designed to run at, you're at that point where tweaking the speed really isn't going to accomplish a lot.