Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Excel Formulas

• Please log in to reply

hrdwrjnkie

hrdwrjnkie

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi all, hoping that someone with some Excel experience can help me out here. I am setting up a dual-sheet workbook to tally votes for an orginizational meeting. The idea of the book is this:

Sheet 1 -- Details
A B
Org #1 1
Voter #1 Votes 2
Voter #2 Votes 3
Total VotesSUM1 4
Org #2 5
Voter #1 Votes 6
Voter #2 Votes 7
Total VotesSUM2 8

Sheet 2 -- Summary
A B
Org #1 Votes (=Sheet1!B4) 1
Org #2 Votes (=Sheet1!B8) 2 <-- These need to fill by fours

Now, my problem lies in that we do a lot of these sheets, and we have over 300 Orgs. Is there a way to fill the formulas on the summary sheet to move 4 cells per one cell? As in on the summary sheet (Sheet 1), there is only one line difference between Org #1 and Org #2, where on the detail sheet (Sheet 2) there are four lines of difference. When I use a standard fill command, the numbers increment by one in the formuls =Sheet1!B4, so the next one would be =Sheet1!B5. This is wrong, I need it to inrement by four so that it goes =Sheet1!B4, =Sheet1!B8.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

cycling-rod

cycling-rod

• Pip
  • 2 posts
One way:
The sum cells on sheet 1 are B4, B8, and the next will be B12 (and so on). Open sheet 2 and type an equals sign "=" in B3. Open sheet 1 and click B 12 and press enter. Sheet 2 will now show the sum cell B12 from sheet 1. B12 of sheet 1 is now linked to B3 of sheet 2. There is probably a macro or code that would increment by 4, but it only takes a moment to link the 2 cells as above.

Another way:
I'm using excel97. Copy B12, sheet 1. Paste Special in B3, sheet 2. Click on Paste Link.

hrdwrjnkie

hrdwrjnkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

One way:
The sum cells on sheet 1 are B4, B8, and the next will be B12 (and so on). Open sheet 2 and type an equals sign "=" in B3. Open sheet 1 and click B 12 and press enter. Sheet 2 will now show the sum cell B12 from sheet 1. B12 of sheet 1 is now linked to B3 of sheet 2.  There is probably a macro or code that would increment by 4, but it only takes a moment to link the 2 cells as above.

Another way:
I'm using excel97. Copy B12, sheet 1. Paste Special in B3, sheet 2. Click on Paste Link.

View Post

This is what I've been doing, but I was wondering if there was an easier way than clicking back and for several hundred times...