Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

cannot connect to network

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have a working home network connected to the internet. i will gladly go into details if you request. i am attempting to replace one of the systems with the one mentioned in my registration. the 'old' computer was connected to the router via an ethernet cable. the 'new' computer is replacing it.

the 'new' system is a fresh install of windows xp professional. i am gradually installing my applications. this has been connected to the network/internet previously. i had planned to install the remining apps yesterday, but, for no known reason, i cannot connect to the internet or network. i have checked out all connections and hardware including pinging the router from a command prompt. all hardware/connections are in order.

i would appreciate it if someone would help me with advice on how to fix this computer's network configuration. i'm not sure what proceedures to follow, and i'd like very much to save this installation of xp because i have so much time already invested in it. when i open a browser i cannot connect. when i attempt to connect to other computers on the network, no go. start/settings/network/network connection gives me a lan or high speed internet enabled.

thank you. much appreciated.

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,490 posts
Hi jvaaz, and welcome to GTG! <_<

Is this the same NIC (Network Interface Card) that was installed in the other system? If not, try swapping them. It's not uncommon to get a defective NIC.