Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstall & Startup Errors

• Please log in to reply

mrdusty007

mrdusty007

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
:whistling: I have a problem similar to someone elses's here that I cannot uninstall Microsoft Office Works. I do not have the install CD & when I try to uninstall it I get the message "Error 1316.A Network error occured while attempting to read from file c:\windoes\installer\works8.msi"b ut I do not have the install disk. So how do I remove it? I never use it because I have Microsoft Office.

I also have an issue that whenever I start my computer or a program a box comes up the says: "Please wait while windows configures ccCommon" then another box comes up in front of that one & it says: "This MSI must be launched through setup" This last box comes up 3 times & I have to click OK each time for it to go away. It never use to do this, it suddenly stared a month or 2 ago. Can anyone help me?

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Have a look at this
click on me
Cheers
Peterm

mrdusty007

mrdusty007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thank you very much, that got rid of the Microsoft Works program.

On the list of programs that the Windows Installer Clean Up shows there is one called: "ccCommon [106.0.1.10]" Do I need this? I still have the other problem that I mentioned & since the word "ccCommon" comes up & has to be configured so much I thought maybe this was the problem. Would you know the answer to this? Can I delete this?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi mrdusty007.

Since peterm's offline, I'll jump in here. ccCommon is part of Norton/Symantec antivirus. Are you currently using Norton? It sounds like it's having issues.

mrdusty007

mrdusty007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks for jumping in. Yes I am running Norton. Any idea what I can do? It's not that this problem seems to be causing major issues, it is just really annoying to have to click "OK" 3 times every time I start something & it is also annoying because I know it should not be happening.

So if this ccCommon is part of Norton I suppose I cannote delete it? I am just guessing here, but I was hoping if I deleted it that maybe my issue would go away. Or do I have to un-install Norton & then re-insttall it?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Thanks for jumping in Linda
Yes I would uninstall Nortons and reinstall - What Norton product are you using?

mrdusty007

mrdusty007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
It is Norton 2006 I think. I am at work so I'm not positive but we update it every year so it pretty much has to be. It is the Norton Anti-virus. We buy it from a computer store & install the new version every year & get the updates all the time. We were told it was good & have used it for years. But now I have seen on the net that a lot of people don't like it.

What do you think of it? I will do the uninstall/reinstall tonite when I get home & see what happens. We have the newest version too becasue my husbands version expired & we got one that has 3 licences in it so my daughter can use it on her computer too. The version I have right now dosen't expire until until November. Would I be better to install this ne one instead of reinstalling to old one?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi mrdusty007.

Did you get this cleared up?

There are several excellent free antivirus softwares available. I use AVG. You can download it here.

If you want to stay with Norton, I'd uninstall the version you have on there now and install the new one.

Let us know if you have any other issues or questions.

mrdusty007

mrdusty007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,

Yes it did help, thanks so much. You guys have been awesome. I have been so busy I have not had time to get back on here & tell you. I did uninstall the Norton I had, which was 2007 & I have not reinstalled it yet or tried to install the new one we got called Norton 360. I am seriously considering not putting it back at all, but I am not sure. Is AVG a good one?

Also, after I uninstalled it I looked in all my computer files & there were still some Symantic files & some of them won't let me delete them. Do you know why? If I have no Norton stuff on my machine anymore why do I have these files? It tell me I cannot delete them because some program is using them. So I don't understand.

Thanks,
Sharon

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
To remove the left-over Norton/Symantec stuff, download the Norton Removal Tool here.

Yes, AVG is very reliable. I think you'll do fine with it.

Advertisements

mrdusty007

mrdusty007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi Again,

The removal tool worked perfectly, thank you so very much. All the Symantec files are gone. I really appreciate your help with this problem, it is so nice to have my computer running properly again.

I do have another question though. It is nothing very serious, just something that is taking up space on my computer is all. Is there maybe a removal program that might help? I have a game program called "Starfleet Command" that will not let me uninstall it. When I try to I get this message:

Unable to locate the instlation log file 'C:\Program Files\Talden\Starfleet CommandII\SFC2.isu' Uninstall will not continue

Thanks,
Sharon

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Sharon
Please double click on my computer, double click on program files. Find the Folder Talden, Right click on Talden and choose delete This should remove the folder to the recycle bin. You may get a message saying that the folder contains a program are you sure, Say yes. (If you hold the shift when you click on delete it will bypass the recycle bin).
Next we want to remove the item from your games list
Click on Strat>allprograms>games. Find the icon that starts the game. It should be called Talden or Starfleet Right click and click delete.
Cheers
Peterm

mrdusty007

mrdusty007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,

The Talden folder is not there. Should I just do the next step anyway?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
So under Program Files, there's not folder called Talden? Do you see one called Starfleet? Does the game actually run?

Youd could try the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.
download here
explanation of how it works

Once done with that, go ahead with peterm's other instructions to remove the icon.

Let us know how it goes.

mrdusty007

mrdusty007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello, sorry to take so long to get back to you, it has been a busy week. The Windows Installer Cleanup Utility didn't do anything, but I also searched my computer for any & all files with a name related to the game & there is nothing at all there. I have a program called "Spy Sweeper" & it has a thing in it where I can click on the name Starfleet Command in the program ununstall list & it will no longer show up on the list of programs to uninstall on my computer. I have to assume that all the files for the game are gone & that due to some clich it just still shows up on the list.

So thanks so much for all you help with all the issues I have had, I really appreciate your service.

Sharon