Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Management Console

• Please log in to reply

ajcamma

ajcamma

• Pip
  • 1 posts
While trying to clean up my C: drive I must have inadvertantly deleted something (or elsea file became corrupted) because I cn no longer open a variety of programs including Defragmenter, Search, Computer Management, System Mechanic, Diskeeper, etc. I get the message: MMC cannot open the file: (file path)

The files (e.g. compmgmt.msc, diskeeper.msc, etc) are all still on the drives, but can't be opened.

I tried to re-install the operating system, but I'm told there is a "newer version" of the OS and it won't accept my origianl Upgrade disc (from 4 years ago.) I tried to go to Microsoft Updates and all it does it keep flashing the same file names without ever stopping! I've downloaded several Registry repair programs which then go on to claim they are fixing a gazillion problems, but they don't fix this one. Microsoft support tells me to return to the original manufactureer (Sony) for help, but when I try to log onto their support pages all I get are blank pages! I've run Trendmicro antivirus, adware remover etc. It finds some security problems and suggest I download their cleanup progran which I did. But when I tried to run it it said I needed another file and to go to their webpage which i did -but the file was no where to be found!

I've had one computer tech look at the computer, but he couldn't figure it out.

Does anyone have a solution? Or is my Window :whistling: s XP fried and I'm going to have to buy a new copy?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi ajcamma...

We may have to hunt and peck a bit at this one.

The first thing to do is to uninstall Java and reinstall it. You should find Java in Add or Remove Programs from Control Panel. Download the new version from Java.com and save it to your desktop. Then remove all the Java entries you find in Add or Remove Programs. Reboot and install the downloaded version you saved to the desktop.

Reboot again and see if the applets (Search, Defrag, etc...) will open.

Let me know how it goes.

wannabe1