Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Horrible Program Deleted My Files, or Hid Them Very Well

• Please log in to reply

chingwithbling

chingwithbling

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
So a few weeks ago I tried to use this program to hide some files on my computer that were of sentimental value, and that I didn't want to be accessible to the other computer-clueless people that might use my computer. Not heeding the reviews on download.com, I gave it at try, and rather than hiding my files, it did something weird. It replaced the folder with another one, that when clicked leads to a folder that is basically my control panel, or a copy of it, in a different folder. I used easyrecovery professional to try to find my files, if they were deleted, and I recovered the files, which showed up in that folder, to a flash drive. When I went to the flash drive to view my long-lost files, it appears that they were still somehow hidden in that folder, and all I saw was that strange copy of the control panel links (they actually work, i.e. clicking internet options actually takes me to my internet options). Is there any way I could somehow access these files? The software used to hide them seems like it would be pretty basic, but I don't know much about software. I know they're there, I just can't make my computer show them, and it's really bugging me. Thanks.

Edited by chingwithbling, 16 September 2007 - 06:09 PM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Click on the folder on the flash drive and then unlock it.
From what I can see that is how it shows hidden folders as a control panel - so see if you can unlock that.
Cheers
Peterm

chingwithbling

chingwithbling

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Wow! What a surprisingly simple solution. I tried to unlock the folders in their original location, to no avail, but I guess after moving them to a different location they were unlocked in a synch. I feel so stupid now. But thanks!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Your welcome