Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dial up problems

• Please log in to reply

boredinsanity

boredinsanity

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello all! Well i'm new here. I'm just trying to figure out what' s wrong with my dial up.
Anyways i don't really go on dial up at home because i'm usually at school using the wireless connection which works perfectly.
The problem: When i tried connecting to the internet using my dial up connection at home i was unable to connect. it was showing some message which says
Error 721 remote computer..something i can't really remember. It also seems that my laptop(SONY VAIO FS920) is the only one not connecting to the internet using dial up. My sister also has a laptop and she could connect to the internet with no problems. Also i have an old computer desktop which could connect to the internet using dial up perfectly. I took it to a computer shop just to see what they could do and the guy says there's nothing wrong with the modem he even uninstalled and reinstalled the modem and I still had the same problem. He says to check with the company that i'm using the dial up connection but i don't think its the company because my sister could connect to the internet with her laptop and i could connect to the internet using the desktop computer.
That's about it. thanks all.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Dial-up Networking error 721 is a failure to connect.

This problem tends to occur due to failure of the modem synchronising with the local exchange

* Recheck connection settings, as this error can be caused by dialling an incorrect number
* Restart your PC and attempt to reconnect as this can sometimes be caused by a synchronisation problem
* Recreate the Dial-up Connection
* Test the line connectivity by dialling the Internet Dial-Up number directly from your phone handset
* If this problem has been ongoing for a long period an upgrade or repair of the modem drivers is required in case the modem drivers have corrupted.

boredinsanity

boredinsanity

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i see then. thanks a lot! i will check to see if it is the modem..why would this happen though? is it because i hardly use the dial up connection?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
How old is the modem? It may have been blasted by a surge up the phone line. Any number of reasons why its stopped working.

boredinsanity

boredinsanity

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well i got my laptop a year ago...can it happen if you download something from the internet?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
The reasons are many so I cannot be specific. But its possible, yes.