Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need HELP with XP. Won't Boot, Can't Repair.

• Please log in to reply

thirdeyepsychonaut

thirdeyepsychonaut

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I replaced the TCPIP.SYS file with another one, trying to open more concurrent connections. I guess it was a faulty file. My comp won't boot normally, upon start up, it only goes as far as the Safe Mode booting screen. I can't boot in safe mode or anything else. I can't return to a previous config because I believe I turned off System Restore a while ago (my mistake). Anyway, I tried booting to an XP installation disc, hoping to repair the OS. I am not given an option to repair. Also, it lists my C drive along with another HD i have connected, but it doesn't list that the C drive is NTFS. It says Unknown. I'm guessing that since i [bleep]ed up a critical file, it won't detect that an OS is installed and that's why I can't repair it. Even stranger, when I try to fix the problem in the Recovery Console, the C drive is not listed. I made sure that the drive still works by checking whether or not my BIOS recognized it, and it does. I dunno what the problem is but i need to avoid a format and full install at any cost. If I could get into the Recovery Console, I'm guessing that I can fix things by making it either recognize that an OS is installed so I get the repair option or by copying files from the XP installation disc to the correct folders. Either way, as is, I'm [bleep]ed and would appreciate anyone's help. This is a lot of hassle over one corrupt file. If anyone needs anymore info about the system specs or whatever else, just ask. Thanks.

Advertisements

Beanbandit27

Beanbandit27

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
If anyone has a solution besides reformat and reinstall, I would love to see what they come up with. :-) This is just a shot in the dark, but does the other HD in your computer have the same version of windows on it? If it does, can you get an uncorrupted tcpip.sys file from that HD and copy it to your corrupted windows installation?

thirdeyepsychonaut

thirdeyepsychonaut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
the other hard drive doesn't have any OS installed on it, it is merely used for storage.

Beanbandit27

Beanbandit27

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Man, I'm out of ideas.... I'm just gonna sit back and see if any of these more experienced guys here have a solution.

thirdeyepsychonaut

thirdeyepsychonaut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
thanks anyway

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG.

What happens when you try to boot to Safe Mode?

Murray

thirdeyepsychonaut

thirdeyepsychonaut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
lol it restarts. immediately. thats about all i can get it to do.

thirdeyepsychonaut

thirdeyepsychonaut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
somehow i need to find a way for windows to detect that it's installed on my C drive so i can perform hopefully a successful repair. at the worst, i need for it to detect my C drive in the recovery console so i can do it the hard way. at the absolute bottom of the barrell is a reformat/reinstall, but, id like to find a way to get all of my data off of the drive before that (by using Bart PE or somethin similar). i dont want it to come to that though. what if i installed xp onto my other HD and copied over the corrupt tcpip.sys file? would i even be able to access the corrupt C drive? and can i even install an OS on a drive with ~150 GB already in use?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
If all you really need are specific files etc from your hdd, just slave it to another system and pull them that way.

Once they have been copied/moved over, put your hdd back into your system and do a complete re-install.

What file, if any, does it get to or stop on before it re-boots when you try in Safe Mode?

Murray

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
One more suggestion.

As the system is booting, tap the F8 key. That should get you to a boot menu. Try "Last Known Good Configuration". You don't need System Restore for that.

Murray

Advertisements

thirdeyepsychonaut

thirdeyepsychonaut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
yeah, ive hit F8 and tried booting from all of those options, even the last known good config. it won't work at all. if i slave it to another system i can get my data right? thats better than nothin i suppose, but then there goes every single one of my apps, and ive got A LOT. this sucks, i can't believe there isn't a way to just replace that file with one from the xp cd. ill try booting it and see if i can see which file it stops at.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
try resetting the bios
take the cmos battery out(quarter size battery)
for about 30 seconds...or more
put it back in...set the correct time in the bios
see what happens

just a shot

Edited by Mr Freeze, 16 September 2007 - 11:36 PM.

thirdeyepsychonaut

thirdeyepsychonaut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i tried last good config, it reboots immediately after the white bar fills up. i tried booting in safe mode, it quits right after the "press ESC to quit, loading SPTD.SYS" or whatever it is. and what will resetting the BIOS do? and where is that battery located?

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
you need too shut down computer....open computer ...take the case off the side
cmos battery is on the motherboard

resetting the bios may help the computer recognize the hardderives installed including the os...it helped me .....hopefully it will help you

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi thirdeyepsychonaut...

Can you get to any kind of a command prompt at all?

wannabe1