Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need HELP with XP. Won't Boot, Can't Repair.

• Please log in to reply

thirdeyepsychonaut

thirdeyepsychonaut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ill try the bios thing tomorrow and ill try starting it up with a command prompt and let you guys know. thanks for the input. its late and it sucks having to take all the cables out of this comp and put em into the POS. haha

Advertisements

thirdeyepsychonaut

thirdeyepsychonaut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
tried resetting the bios, didn't work. i cant start in safe mode with a command prompt and i can't get a command prompt in the recovery console because it doesnt even detect the C drive. i tried bootcfg /add and bootcfg /scan, but it says the file system is too corrupt. [bleep]. i guess you can only repair windows as long as there's only a minor problem. how [bleep]en stupid. it's too dumb to detect itself. corrupt or not, it should still be able to see that an OS is installed on the drive. whatever, lemme know what you guys come up with.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
If the drive is shot, then nothing will recognize it is in there.

Is it detected in BIOS?

Or, if you know the make of the hdd, go to the manufacturers website and download their diagnostics program. Put it on a floppy and boot your system using the floppy.

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 17 September 2007 - 10:12 AM.

thirdeyepsychonaut

thirdeyepsychonaut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
the drive is not shot, bios recognizes it perfectly. absolutely nothing is wrong with the drive. it's the OS that's messed up.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Run the diagnostic anyway.

Murray

thirdeyepsychonaut

thirdeyepsychonaut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
can i burn the diagnostic on a CD-R or DVD-R and run it from there or do i specifically need a floppy?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Check the manufacturers webpage. Some can be put on a cd-r.

Murray