Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Power cord/transformer issue

• Please log in to reply

amusinglisa

amusinglisa

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
ON Thursday, I noticed nothing about wrong with my usual computer session until I went to set the Compaq Persario V2000 on the floor (we have had cord issues). As I did so, there was a loud "Pop", a bright flash and visible smoke, along with that wonderful brimstone scent. I had the thing unplugged in a nanosecond, and it booted back up just fine. I checked the cord, and the part that goes from the outlet to the transformer was neatly blown about 2" from the transformer right through both wires. In retrospect, I believe the new dog had a bit to do with the cord condition.

I had another power cord and plugged the transformer in (without the notebook attached to make sure it didn't do something funny again, and all was well for an hour or so, so I went ahead and used the cord for the last two days (very light computer use).

Tonight, the battery went low, so I plugged in again. It was acting as if it was not drawing power, but I did not have time to check before the machine clicked off. There is no odor, the transformer is cool to the touch and I both the gazzinta and the gazzouta cord are intact, though the power cord might be a tad warm - hard to tell - my hands are a bit chilly...

Am I looking at a new computer in the near future? :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

gazzinta and the gazzouta cord are intact

:whistling: nice technical terminology there

i'd say that you've blown the transformer/inverter in the "brick" on the power cord....those things have fuzes and things of that nature in them to keep a catastropich event (like what you're describing) from filtering through the transformer and into your laptop.....it's a good thing that the short was between the wall and the brick and not between the brick and the laptop.....you'll need to get a new one