Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How do I get rid of old user accounts?

• Please log in to reply

rameam

rameam

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I bought this used Toshiba Satellite with XP on it. The man I bought it from had deleted the user accounts, but the folders for those accounts are still in Documents and Settings. When I turn it on it boots into one of those accounts.

The only accounts listed in User Accounts are User/Administrator and Guest. these other users aren't even there.

All changes I've made since getting it are in this one folder with the person's name on it. Sometimes I'm denied access to certain things. How do I change all this to make it mine? I tried renaming the folder but windows won't let me. All I want to do is turn it on and it boots to one and the same desktop every time, and I want to delete all these other folders.

I'm the only one using it. I would like to get rid of the Admin/User function altogether because I don't need it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
first create yourself a user with your name on it and make sure it's in the administrators group (if you don't know how to do that let us know)

then log on as that user and right click on "my computer" then choose properties, then go to the advanced tab, then click the properties button in the "user profiles" section. highlight the account that you want to remove and press the delete button

rameam

rameam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for the quick reply.

Don't know how. Cut my teeth on older Windows and am not that familiar with XP.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
http://www.microsoft...r.mspx?mfr=true <--to add a new user

rameam

rameam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
After much frustration, I finally got everything back to normal in my new user account. When I went to delete as you specified above, the delete button would not activate when I highlighted the listing I wanted to delete, nor for my new account, but when I highlighted the admin account the delete button activated. I thought the admin account could not possibly be deleted.

In the box four accounts were listed: unknown account (which I was able to delete), BOOBEAR/administrator, BOOBEAR/Joe Smith (not the person's real name), and the new account, BOOBEAR/RAM. Where did the Boobear come from? There are two folders with this person's name on them in Docs and Sets: 1 is Joe Smith and the other is Joe Smith.BOOBEAR. What the heck is boobear? Is there any other way to delete them?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
boobear is the name of the computer

try restarting the computer and logging on as your new user that you created...then try deleting those accounts again the same way

rameam

rameam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
That worked great! Thanks.

Before creating this new account, Windows booted up to the desktop - no users at the welcome screen, no log on box - just booted to the desktop. How do I set it now to do the same thing? When I turn it on I would like for it to boot to the desktop without having to do anything. Does that have something to do with the Joe Smith.BOOBEAR folder? I did delete it but can restore it from the Recycle Bin if necessary.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
no...it's about a setting in windows

http://www.delphifaq...user/f966.shtml

rameam

rameam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip