Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor won't fully shut down when Power Saving

• Please log in to reply

theBoar

theBoar

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi guys, sorry to do this but this is the second time I'm posting here about this problem. I'm having issues with my power save in Vista Ultimate. My monitor just wont fully power down when I set to it automatically do so in 'x' amount of minutes. All it does is after 'x' minutes my monitor will go to a blank black screen but won't turn off, all power is still running to my monitor. The first time i posted about this a few weeks ago i had only one response and it was suggested to me to view the power manager in my system bios and configure the apm and/or acpi but never specified how to configure it. I went into the power manager of my bios but just got confused. What I did instead was update the drivers for my video card thinking it might fix the issue, but didn't. Can anyone help me with this problem, Thank you!
:)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If this is a desktop machine, then power will not be killed totally to the monitor, the best you can ask for is to go into standby. You can't physically turn it off from within Windows, you have to do that yourself.

theBoar

theBoar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
this is actually a new desktop system that I'm running. My previous desktop (running the same OS) allowed my monitor (the same monitor i'm using now) to turn off completely, not just go to a blank screen. Previously, my monitor(lcd tv) would say "no signal" and then completely power off after the "x" amount of minutes I specified in Power Saver. Now, just a blank screen. This is why I think its a configuration or driver issue. My monitor did completely power off in the past. Any ideas?