Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems adding additional PCs to wireless network in XP

• Please log in to reply

sportspeddler1

sportspeddler1

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I thought I was a least a little bit computer literate until I tried setting up a network in XP. I guess my first question is this. Is there a way that I can just delete everything I have done so far on the computer that I am trying to add to the network and start from scratch with all the default settings. I feel like I have probably really messed things up by going in so many times and trying different things to get this to work. The most recent problem I have had is trying to add a PC with a TRENDnet wireless adaptor to my network which has a D-Link Wireless Router. Any help would be appreciated as at this point I am completely lost and frustrated. Is there a proceedure somewhere on geekstogo for adding an additional computer to an existing wireless network? I have not been successfull in being able to add another PC or my laptop after my initial setup which included the Main PC on the network and one other PC.
Thank You

Advertisements

sportspeddler1

sportspeddler1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Additional problems and update. The one wireless PC that had been working on my network now says it is NOT connected to the wireless network even though we can still use the internet on that computer. The SSID had changed in my firmware and I entered the correct SSID so the most recent PC that I have been trying to connect ( with the TRENDnet wireless adapter) now recognizes the proper SSID, however it still will not connect. It recognizes the router as an available wireless connection with open security, however it will not connect to it. ANY help would be appreciated.

sportspeddler1

sportspeddler1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Another suspected problem that may or may not have anything to do with the problems I am having. On the PC on which I am unable to connect to the wireless network, The box for IEEE 802.1x authentication in the Authentication Tab of the Local Area Connection Properties box is unchecked and greyed out. Some information that I have found seems to indicate that this box should be checked and NOT greyed out. Grasping and any straw here.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Check out this How-To-Guide its for wired connections but it should help you get your settings correct.

sportspeddler1

sportspeddler1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Thank you for your reply, but this is the procedure I have been using from the start to try to set up the network. The odd thing is that the last PC I tried to connect to the network recognizes the network but will not connect to it. Any other suggestions?

sportspeddler1

sportspeddler1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
No suggestions?,,,,,, at all?????...... Not even somewhere to start?..... Another website maybe?.... Anyone else have these problems???... Anything????? ..... at all?????????????

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi sportspeddler
Do you still need help with this ?
Cheers
peterm