Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Flashing Amber Light

• Please log in to reply

moomink333

moomink333

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello! I've had my Dell Dimension 4700 for 3 years now - have had NO problems with it. A few weeks ago, power light on front turned from green to flashing amber - was like that for days. Took to a computer expert who said there was nothing wrong with it. I took it home and turned off power for the entire night - and computer turned on and worked fine for about 2 weeks. This morning - flashing amber light again - so frustrating! I came home from work, unplugged it for 1/2 hour and it was fine for about an hour, then died again... Turned it off for an hour - now it's working (but for how long, I don't know...). I know it's getting power, but not exactly sure what's wrong... shouldn't computers last more than 3 years? Does anyone suggest I completely shut down the power each night (I've left it on 24 hrs a day since I've had it, pretty much) to save power? When do you know when it's time to buy a new one (which Id rather NOT do...). Thanks for your help! Wendy

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Sounds like your computer is going into a standby mode...

If you press any key on your keyboard or move the mouse, does it come back on while this amber light is flashing? If not, it may be because they are USB devices (If I remember correctly, USB is turned off in standby mode).

You can check your standby settings by doing the following:

Right-click anywhere in empty space on your desktop. Select Properties. Click on the Screen Saver tab. At the bottom, click on Power. Note the settings on the window that appears.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 18 September 2007 - 10:57 AM.

moomink333

moomink333

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi - thanks for responding - it is actually the yellow light on the computer itself - not the monitor.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
Everything you need to know about the light sequences:

http://support.dell....t.htm#wp1054081

If the power light is blinking amber, the computer is receiving electrical power, but an internal power problem might exist.

Ensure that the voltage selection switch is set to match the AC power at your location (if applicable). See your Owners Manual for more information.

Ensure that the processor power cable is securely connected to the system board. See your Owners Manual for more information.

If the power light is steady amber, a device might be malfunctioning or incorrectly installed.

Remove and then reinstall the memory modules.

Remove and then reinstall any cards.

Remove and then reinstall the graphics card, if applicable.

We can give Speed Fan a shot to see if it will pickup anything before applying the advice at Dell's website

Please download Speed Fan and install it.

Start Speed Fan. When it is fully loaded, take a screen shot of the first screen by pressing Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint and paste. Save the screenshot as a JPEG and post it in a reply to me. Now click on the tab called S.M.A.R.T.. Select your hard drive by using the drop-down box at the top. Now take a screenshot of that as well. Post it in your reply to me as well.

NOTE: For certain computers, Speed Fan will not display accurate measurements. If the temperature wildly fluctuates or doesn't change at all, let me know, otherwise I will believe the mesurements are accurate.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 18 September 2007 - 05:32 PM.