Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

recovery console password

• Please log in to reply

DomFather

DomFather

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello Guys,

i am having a problem that one member already had that windows xp is log in and log out in loop, i have the same problem but the other problem is that i am not able to go into recovery console because it is asking me for an administrator password and have entered the one i use on my profile and it simply says it is invalid, is there any suggestions why it may be. my profile has administrators previleges and no other profile is active

Thanks in advance,

Edited by DomFather, 18 September 2007 - 02:31 AM.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi DomFather. Welcome to Geeks to Go!

The Recovery Console is asking for the password for the default Administrator user account. This is the account that was created during Windows' initial installation and setup. You may have left this password blank.

DomFather

DomFather

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
yes, that what i tought was the case but when i leave it blank and hit the enter still tells me that it is invalid

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Well, that means the password is not blank. Since (if) your username is in the Computer Administrator group, you can log in as you and change the password for Administrator. Click Start, Run.., type in control userpasswords2. This should bring up a list of User Accounts. Highlight Administrator and click Reset Password.

What exactly are you trying to do in the Recovery Console? Maybe there's another way to accomplish it.

hoffy628

hoffy628

• Pip
  • 2 posts
If you boot from a cd that is not the same version as the windows that is installed you will get this error, for example if you have Xp home installed you will get this error if you boot from an xp pro cd