Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Folding at Home

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Has anyone heard of Folding At Home? Basically, to sum it up, scientists at Stanford university want to study the way protiens fold and misfold came up with this ingenious idea to share the analyzing and computation of their calculations with everyday users' PCs. Rather than having 1 supercomputer with 1,000s of processors, they have approximately 250,000 active users worldwide with hundreds of thousands of processors working to analyze these proteins and the way they act.

It is a very interesting concept that I finally decided to get in on. It doesn't reduce the performance of my computer at all! It only uses whatever processor power is NOT being used. And it only communicates with their systems when looking for work to do, and when the calculations are finished (which usually takes several days).

Here's how to install it:

Download the attached ZIP file and extract its contents. Run the file called "Install Console Client". When successfully completed, restart your computer. After the restart, press CTRL+ALT+DEL and look under the "Processes" for the item "FAH504-Console". If you see it, you were successful. Does NOT work on Windows Vista!! Ask for alternate instructions if you wish to join.

Attached File  Folding_At_Home_Console.zip   122.17KB   140 downloads
Attachment has been updated with changes to the installer code.

You won't show up under my Team until your computer submits its first WU (work unit).

Share with friends and family. I don't recommend it on laptops, as it can cause them to overheat (older laptops or heat-efficient laptops excluded).

This version in the ZIP file is non-graphical and completely silent. If you want to check on your progress, navigate to "C:\Program Files\Folding At Home" and double-click the file called "MyFolding". There is a graphical version available at the Folding At Home website (google it), but it interferes with some games because it uses OpenGL for graphics. Just use my teamnumber 84992 please if you go that route. :wave:

Summary
  • Uses ONLY unused processor power.
  • ONLY communicates with their server at the beginning and completion of the analysis, which takes several days.
  • You do NOT have to use your computer more often, or leave it online on purpose.
  • You do NOT have to be connected to the internet during the analysis process. If you disconnect when it needs to transmit data, it will automatically wait for a connection without disturbing you.
  • You are NOT connected to ANYONE ELSE. You ONLY connect to Stanford University's servers.
For more information, see this Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia....ki/Folding@home

My Team stats: http://vspx27.stanfo...p;teamnum=84992

Please join my project and support Folding At Home.

Thanks!! :)

Attached Files

Edited by computerwiz12890, 18 October 2007 - 10:56 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i do alot of folding at home....mostly laundry though :)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
One of the Computer Giants has a similar plan, which will cut the required 50,000 years of computer time down to a year

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Computer time required to do what?

Closed

http://www.geekstogo...lding home team