Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can Someone Help Me: unable to logoff, restart, or shut down

• Please log in to reply

quanmay35

quanmay35

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
unable to logoff, restart, or shut down how can I fix this without manually shutting down PC?

Thanks in advance

Edited by quanmay35, 18 September 2007 - 11:41 AM.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
If you have a windows xp cd I would go to Start -> Run ->type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes and hit enter.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Yes. Do a "scannow" Don't forget the 'space' between the sfc and the /.
Retry as often as asked.

I also suggest that you obtain the utility described here: http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en
It will cleanup your user profile. Often a factor in shutdown problems.

It would be a good idea to clean out all the temp files that you can. Very quickly done with ATF Cleaner: http://www.atribune....tent/view/19/2/ No install required. Download and "save" to your desktop. Just double click to run. First time, Select All.

Next, run JkDefrag. Free, powerful defrag utility: http://www.majorgeek...wnload5542.html
It comes a a .zip file. Extract it and run the JkDefrag.exe
It has a yellow icon. May take a while, just let it work til done.

Now please make 2 new shortcuts. Right click the desktop: New>Shortcut.

For the first, Where it says "Type the location...", paste this:
%windir%\system32\Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

Run that shortcut and let the system alone for about 10-15min. This will do some basic windows housekeeping, including ordering the boot files for easy access.

Next make a shortcut with this:
%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 0
The next time you want to shutdown use that shortcut. It has a zero delay factor and may work better.

There is still a registry edit to try, but first please report back on your progress so far.

When you do power down by holding the button, please use "Last known good configuration" for the next boot. Start pressing F8 twice a second as the first screen loads, and then use the arrow keys to move the highlighting to "Last known good..."
Then press the Enter key. This will boot you into a system "snapshot" of settings that were working properly.

Edited by 1101doc, 18 September 2007 - 07:18 PM.