Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware free- Now reboots very slow!

• Please log in to reply

GoKarGo

GoKarGo

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi there! Recently I was infected with some very nasty malware and Stamper19 over in the Malware forum was very helpful. I am now malware-free. Here is a link to that: http://www.geekstogo...m....html&st=15 . (Well I hope that works).

Anyway, during the infection cleanup process, my machine started get slow, 12 minutes to reboot the machine, now its at about 9-10 minutes. The machine was pretty quick before. I was hoping to get some help with this issue. I thank you in advance.

Also, Stamper19 suggested that I remove the programs installed during the cleanup process. Is dragging them from the desktop to the recycle bin going to uninstall them?

He also had a list of some programs to install and I am wondering if installing and uninstalling a whole bunch of programs will make the machine even slower? Should I get it running "up to speed" before messing with it?

I need to uninstall my outdated Norton Internet Security and install an updated Anti-virus. Should I do that now? I also am wondering if I should keep Tuneup Utilities, AVG Anti-spyware, Superantispyware& HiJack This. I have Yahoo antispyware and AVG Antispyware installed on the computer as well.

Im sorry for all the stupid? questions but I am in the dark here. A little direction would be greatly appreciated!!!

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Glad you got your computer all cleaned up!

Now what I would do is go ahead and uninstall the programs by going to Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs

Select them from that list and uninstall them from there. The only thing I would keep on there is the Anti virus you are going to use. If you are going to keep with AVG than dont uninstall it. The rest can go. Also to completely uninstall Norton after you use Add/Remove programs download this Norton Clean Up Tool just pick your version and run it.

Once thats done I would reboot.

Then I would go and download CCleaner and open that when its done. On the first screen look down the list and see if there is anything you want to save, I choose everything but Menu Order cache, Tray cache, and Window size cache, but its your choice.

When you save what you want click Run Cleaner.

When thats done Click Registry on the left side.
Click Scan for Issues
When thats done click Repair, save the registry to where you want and fix all issues. Repeat that procedure (only save the first time) until it shows no issues.
When thats done click Tools, then click Startup
Look through that list and delete the entries that you do not want starting up when you start up your machine.
Close CCleaner and reboot.

Now go to Start -> Right click My Computer -> click Manage -> click Defragmenter, and defrag your hard drive, when done reboot and let us know if its better.

GoKarGo

GoKarGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Well, heres the problem...when I go to add/remove programs, most of the things I wanted to remove were not on the list, such as vindofix, combofix, dss.exe, atf cleaner, etc, so I just dragged from the desktop to the recycle bin. Will this delete them in a correct way?

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
If when you run it, it starts, instead of installing, it's a standalone application and dragging it into the recycle bin will work. However, that's not the case for most programs.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Dragging the icon from the desktop to the recycle bin only removes the desktop shortcut if the program is installed. To remove it from the machine, an un-install procedure must occur. If you have CCleaner, it offers an un-install list as well. If that is not helpful, open the Program files folder and find the program folder that you want to un-install. Open that up and look for a file that is named "uninst" or something similar. A double click of that file will un-install the referenced program normally, even if it does not appear in Add/Remove.

GoKarGo

GoKarGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thank you all for your suggestions! I will get started right away! Please stand by.... :)

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Sounds good, let us know what happens! :)

GoKarGo

GoKarGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Just a quick note on the progress...Im not finished yet, but just uninstalling some of those antispyware programs sped things up considerably. I am working on the Antivirus program now. Tthe AVG link is no longer good, I dont think you can get it free anymore, so I went with AVAST. First time I tried to install it, it was missing files and said to clear out the internet cache (whatever that means) so I just went to the kids computer and downloaded it a CD. Hope that works!!! I'll keep you posted....

GoKarGo

GoKarGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Done, done and done!! Woot! I have a three minute boot now, I think its faster than it used to be even!!

Thank you all for your help!!

Stamper19 suggested installing Spybot Search and Destroy, does anyone have experience with this program? Will it be redundant seeing as how I have Windows Defender, Ad-Aware SE, and Spyware Blaster already installed? If I were to get rid of one, which one is the least useful?

Anxiously awaiting your reply!!!!

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Others will have differing opinions, I'm sure, but I do not like Window's Defender. It seems to take quite a bit of my system's resources, and has not been shown in comparison testing to be any better than many other programs.

Spybot Search and Destroy was one of the very first anti-spyware applications, and has an excellent reputation, except for the "Tea-Timer" active client function which many report as being troublesome and over-protective. I use Spybot as one of my weekly scanners after updating it. A standard tool in the scan and remove spy/malware procedure.

It is no problem to have several "scan-only" anti- programs. However, it is unwise to have more than one active full-time Firewall, anti-virus, or anti-malware client active. One of each active--the rest to scan.

The exception to this seems to consistently be SpywareBlaster, which does its work and then exits the running state, and its sister application- SpywareGuard, which, while it runs full time, uses a completely different sort of process to determine the likelyhood that something is spyware.

I use the Comodo Firewall, AVG free anti-virus (I just have to update manually), and, as full-time active anti-malwre client, the paid version of A-Squared Anti-Malware. I also have both SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard installed with no conflicts.

I do like A2, but Webroot Spysweeper, and the paid version of AVG Anti-Spyware also have excellent reputations, and score very high in testing. I feel that the dollars I spend for full-time anti-spyware are well worth it.

GoKarGo

GoKarGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for your input, I guess its one of those things where you just have to try it and see how you like it!! I'll start experimenting! :) Thanks again!!!

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Do be careful out there. Some anti-spyware programs are worse than what they were 'sposed to protect you from. Stick with the brand names, but avoid "security suites." Too complicated and hard to control. My philosophy is one function-one app.