Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp/ norton antivirus

• Please log in to reply

staceykeith

staceykeith

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well the problem started as I was unable to use Internet Explorer or any windows programs, then I attempet to update Norton off a disk and it would not completely load, I then attempted to restart my computer and got the BLUE contact administrator screen, I went into safe mode and removed my original (out of date and subscription) Norton and was finally able to get back into my computer but now when I try to download the Norton antivirus from their web site it will not finish installing, I have done a live scan that Norton sent me and nothing showed up. The scan was clean, Now I have the Norton installation file on my desk top but when I go into that it says unable to install Norton. What is going on with my computer I spoke to people at Norton and they were not able to tell me why this is happening, that is when they referred me to the live scan. But since that is now coming up with nothing I do not know what else to do. Everthing else works fine now, I can get into Internet explorer and all my windows programs, exccept that AOL now takes a couple minutes to open up and it did not do that before. Do you have any Ideas for me what is wrong with my computer? What can I do to fix it? Please help!! I am so frustrated!! It has been one thing after another for the past about 3 weeks.......

Advertisements

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Have you tired removing the old installation first?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Which version of Norton is it?

staceykeith

staceykeith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes I did an uninstall before trying to reinstall, Norton had even sent me something to use to completely uninstall it. I am trying to download the Norton Internet Security 2007 version.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi staceykeith...

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool on the machine...then try the install. Be sure to read the information on the download page.

I'm surprised the Norton support people didn't have you do this.

wannabe1

staceykeith

staceykeith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Norton did send that removal tool to me and I used it and am still having problems.

staceykeith

staceykeith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have now experienced a new problem.... I restarted the computer (obviously a different one) and recieved a message that said there is a corrupt or missing file : windowsroot>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe ....... and am unable to get the computer to acctually start. Can someone tell me how I can fix this or what is now wrong with my computer.

Thank you, :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Tap the F8 key as the machine is starting, to open the Advanced Boot Options screen. On that screen, select "Last known good configuration" and press Enter.

Does the machine start normally using this option?

staceykeith

staceykeith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok I tried that and got the same message the exact message is: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. please reinstall a copy of the above file.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have a Windows XP installation cd? If you do, is it an OEM (Dell, HP, etc...) or a retail version?

Advertisements

staceykeith

staceykeith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes I have a windows disk and it is from dell, when I purchased the computer.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Boot to the cd.

At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press R to enter Recovery Console.

Select the operating system to be repaired by number (probably 1) and press "Enter".

When prompted for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter"....unless, of course, you have set a password...then use that.

At the command prompt, type expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32 and press "Enter".

If you are prompted to overwrite the file, press Y and press "Enter".

Type exit and press "Enter" to quit Recovery Console. The computer will restart...let it try to boot normally.

staceykeith

staceykeith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok I tried that and got the the prompt section and when I type in everything you have in blue it says can not find file then within a minute or two the computer shuts off and when I turn it back on it says the syster automatically powered off to maintain system temperature requirements. the air flow fron the system fan vents may be obstructed. please consult your owners manual for proper maintenance and ensure that the system fan is clear of any dust or debris. if this problem recurs, please call Dell support with errorcode #M1004

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you ever cleaned the CPU cooler on the machine?

What model Dell is this?

staceykeith

staceykeith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
No, how do I do that? Inspiron 1150, 3 years old.