Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Looking for cheap media laptop for college (already did some research)

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
My laptop (Dell 6000D) recently went PLAT! So i need a new laptop but can't afford an expensive one.

Budget: $500 - $600 (after instant savings/ mail-in-rebates)
Uses: Excel, Word, CD importing, Web surfing, Media (Lots of video watching/ music listening)
OS of choice: Windows XP Home/Pro, then Vista
Gaming - RA2 if even, LOWEST PRIORITY!
Needs - widescreen( LOTS of movies), atleast 1 gig RAM, wireless, CD rewritable/DVD drive.

*Can be refurbished*

*Would like it to last 2-3 years so no ultra-low end like 512ram, celeron processor.

Choices so far:

Acer Aspire 9410-2457 ($549.99)

Acer Aspire 5100-5023 ($599.99)

HP Pavilion dv6426us ($599.99)

Acer Aspire 5610-2089 ($599.99)

Looking for opinions from ppl that knows what 1 MB L2 Cache, 533 MHz FSB and things like that mean instead of just looking at the GHz.

I noticed the Acer Aspire 5100-5023 has 2 gigs of ram and the HP Pavilion dv6426us seems a bit more 'polished' (webcam, remote, media controls) Are there better ones out there under $600 that I should know about or ones that will give me more value for the price? If not, whats the order of those laptops from best to worst...Probably will be buying within the next two days.

PS. No dells please.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
okaaay...i guess that didn't work out. New Plan, forget about my hatred for Dell...
Assuming they're near the same price, and the brand doesn't matter... which one would you buy given my needs (end of post)? I highlighted the main differences:

Operating system Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
Processor Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T5250 (1.5 GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)
Display 15.4" WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
Memory 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Graphics Card Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
Personalization HP Imprint Finish (Radiance) + Webcam + Microphone
Networking Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
Hard Drive 120GB 5400RPM
Primary CD/DVD Drive SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
Primary Battery 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Home
Processor Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5470 (1.6GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
Display 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA LCD Display with TrueLife™
Memory 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM
Graphics Card Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
Camera Integrated 2.0 mega pixel Web Camera
Wireless Cards Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Wi-Fi Mini Card
Hard Drive 120G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Optical Drive 8X CD/DVD Burner w/ double-layer DVD+R write capability
Primary Battery 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

I would think the Dell would be chosen by most, however I plan to do a LOT of video watching and the screen resolution is really giving me doubts. Vista or XP makes no difference to me, and I WILL NOT BE GAMING! Thoughts?

Edited by Shayer, 20 September 2007 - 03:09 PM.