Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop will apear to charge, but wont turn on

• Please log in to reply

ditchmagnetq

ditchmagnetq

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When I plug in my laptop, it will act like it is charging, but when i press the power button, all the lights turn off, and i cant get it to appear to charge till i take out the battery for a little bit.

I think the jack is a little lose though, cause i can wiggle the cord and the lights come off and on. I tested the voltage and the power supply it providing the correct amount. does this sound like what a bad power jack would do? i dont want to waste the time tearing it apart and re-soldering it back in place for no reason.

It seems to me that if it is charging at all that it should start at least from battery power.

Thanks.

Advertisements

ditchmagnetq

ditchmagnetq

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
ok, i decided to take out the motherboard to have a look. and although there is solder around the post where it should connect, its not holding it solidly. i can wiggle it a little and see the post moving, so im thinking i can just re solder it and, hopefully the jack is still good and didnt take out the mainboard. im also thinking this would explain why its acting like its charging, but it must have been very weak...i hope nothings broken. does this all sound right to anybody?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
yeah sound about right.... do you have soldering experience? you should use a temperature controlled soldering station or at the very least a grounded soldering iron... If you need a new jack you could try here

www.laptopjacks.com

I have used them in the past... if you have to go that route be sure you know the EXACT model you have and get the jack for your EXACT model....

Good luck...